5 Yoga Poses for Better Digestion
Digestive disorders are common for people of all age groups around the world. Several medicines are available to help relieve bloat, gas, and acid reflux, but practicing yoga on a regular basis can actually help reduce the frequency of this condition. Just fifteen minutes of every day can help tackle digestion problems and get relief.
1. Bridge Pose
This inverted posture helps improve blood flow, which helps you feel energized.
- To start, lie down on the floor.
- Keep the knees bent. Your arms shall be beside your body.
- Keep your feet flat on floor.
- Move the hips in order to give your chest a good stretch.
- For a better digestion, you can also press one hip up and hold on to this pose. Count to 4 and switch sides.
2. Revolved Triange Pose
- Start with feet hips-width apart.
- Lower the left hand to the ground.
- You can level your hips as you slowly drop your left hip down. This shall be just in line with your right hip.
- Ensure that your legs are strong and stable as you are lifting the arm.
- Your palm in this position shall be facing a bit away from the body. This pose compresses and quickly releases the colon which helps in stimulating the toxin movement which is usually trapped in body.
3. Downward-Facing Dog Pose
- Start in the plank position and set up your body on your hands and feet, perfectly balancing your body. You can place your hands at least shoulder distance apart. Your feet shall be outer hip distance apart.
- Use your core to slowly press your hips up and then back. You need to broaden your back at this position.
- Slowly bend the knees so that you are able to lengthen your spine. Spread your shoulders. Take a few deep breaths in your belly. You will also pull your navel up and move it inwards towards the back of the heart with each exhale. This will help in nourishing the intestine.
4. Puppy Pose Extended
- You will start on your hands and knees just as you are in a cat-cow position.
- Let your hips remain where they are and walk your hands slowly a bit forward. Do not exert yourself at one go if you are not able to do this in the first time.
- Release your head to the floor. This pose helps in stretching the belly and also reduces cramps which can occur after heavy meals.
5. Wind Relieving Pose
This is one of the most common yoga postures for reducing gas pains and the feeling of bloating.
- To start, lie down on the floor on your back.
- Relax, and as you inhale, hug your knees and bring them up towards your chest.
- You can rock your knees from one side to another which will help in maximizing the stretch. Stay in this pose for at least 6-7 breaths.
- You can then release your knees. Do this a number of times. Regular practice will help in slowly reducing the problem of gas and flatulence.
Indigestion - When To Start Yoga
Do you suffer from indigestion at least thrice a week?
Yoga Postures For Digestion
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.