Chakra Energy Centers: The Solar Plexus Chakra
Meaning and Functions
The Sanskrit name for the solar plexus chakra is Manipura which means "lustrous gem". This chakra is a spinning yellow vortex located between the end of the sternum and the naval, and its element is fire.This chakra develops in our teens and reaches maturity in our early twenties.
The solar plexus chakra is concerned with self identity and power, creativity and our connection to others. It rules our personality and our ego, controls our self esteem, self worth and self confidence. This chakra gives us the will to move forward, exact positive change, give up bad habits, create momentum and bring transformation.
- Verb: I can
- Age of resonance: 14-21
- Element: fire
- Sense: sight
- Food: complex carbohydrates, starches
- Crystals: citrine, yellow jasper, yellow tourmaline, aventurine quartz, sunstone, amber, topaz
- Mantra: Ram
- Musical note: E
- Type of music: marches
- Fragrance/oils: vetivert, ylang ylang, bergamot, cinnamon, rosemary, cypress, clove, sandalwood, lemon, grapefruit, juniper
- Angelic presence: Archangel Uriel, regent of the sun
The positive archetype of the solar plexus chakra is the "Warrior" who has a strong sense of self. They have the inner strength, confidence and will to realize their dreams and the physical strength to overcome obstacles
The negative archetype is the "Servant". The servants' selfhood is based on the approval and recognition they receive from those that they are constantly trying to please. Due to their need for confirmation and acknowledgement that they can only get from others, servants lose their energy and are unable to replenish it
Physical and Emotional Dysfunctions
This chakra's glandular connection is with the pancreas.The pancreas is responsible for the metabolism of carbohydrates as well as the control of glucose in our blood. On an esoteric level it is associated with joy. A lack of joy and self empowerment are felt to contribute to the development of diabetes. Other organs that may be effected by the solar plexus chakra are the stomach, liver, gall bladder, spleen, upper intestines, middle spine and kidneys. Physical symptoms may include fatigue, allergies, weight around the middle, stomach ulcers, pancreatitis, indigestion, eating disorders and hepatitis. A solar plexus chakra that is too active may cause one to be controlling, aggressive, sensitive to criticism and judgmental. If this chakra is blocked one would be overly concerned about what other people think, need constant reassurance, be fearful and insecure.
A person with a healthy and balanced solar plexus chakra will be trusting, honorable, empowered, capable and confident. That person would have good self esteem, be able to have good relationships with other people and respect boundaries.
Balancing and Healing the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Exercises such as rapid diaphragmatic breathing, jogging, stomach crunches, Bow Pose, Belly Push and Pike Pose. Anything that gets the energy moving rapidly will stimulate the solar plexus chakra
- Crystal healing using yellow hues of the crystals associated with this chakra. I use the Solar Plexus Tumbled Crystal Healing Kit that holds three stones recommended for solar plexus healing, pouch included to protect stones.
- Positive affirmations
- Meditation, grounding