Crystal Healing: Aquamarine Stone Benefits, Properties, and Meaning
What Are the Benefits of Aquamarine?
Aquamarine is a beautiful translucent-blue crystal with excellent grounding properties. It has been used as a stone of protection by sailors at sea for centuries. Its color reflects the clarity and blue hues of the ocean.
Aquamarine offers the following benefits:
- reduced anxiety
- reducing feelings of judgement
- speaking one's truth
- throat chakra issues
Aquamarine takes on a light or green-blue hue. It is found clear or translucent, tumbled or in raw form.
Where Is It Found?
Aquamarine is considered “readily available” in regions of the U.S., Brazil, Mexico, Russia, Ireland, and the Middle East (Near East).
How Much Does Aquamarine Cost?
You can find fairly inexpensive aquamarine stones (tumbled) for 10 dollars or so or in raw form for around $30-40. Low to mid-range runs at $5-100 per carat and upwards of $150-200, depending on quality and clarity.
The Meaning and Properties of Aquamarine Stone
This stone has an ancient history. It was once carried as a talisman by sailors to protect them from drowning.
The stone represents courage and helps to reduce anxiety. Its calming energy brings about lightness and protection; it wards off negativity and darkness.
Aquamarine is great for sensitive people with perceptive abilities. It helps individuals to get unstuck—allowing them to be free of the critical voice, free from self-judgement, and from feelings of being overwhelmed.
Aquamarine offers people vitality and can help them to shift life into a new direction. This stone helps to keep the mind healthy—reducing repetitive thoughts that cloud the brain and create confusion. By using this crystal, you will be able to improve your communication and speak your mind and your truth without fear. This stone banishes all fears.
You can use aquamarine for meditation. It is especially great for the throat chakra. It may be used for abnormalities of the throat (thyroid, vocal issues, sore throats), and can clear the pituitary gland from environmental smog.
How to Use Aquamarine for Healing
Aquamarine can be carried in the pocket or worn as jewelry, as a pendant, in earrings, or as a ring. Carry tumbled aquamarine in your hand or place it over your throat chakra or third eye to clear your pituitary gland. Place it on your night stand, under your pillow, or simply in your room. Know that aquamarine can fade in the sun, so protect it.
This book is a must-have. It's what educated me about crystals when I first became interested. It's like having a dictionary around—it's simply necessary. I love this book and highly recommend it to all considering crystal healing.
How to Program a Crystal
So you have a crystal or stone. How do you program it? Programming your crystal is much like setting an intention. Below is a basic step-by-step method for programming:
- Neutralize. Make sure your crystal is energetically neutral (see resources below on how to cleanse your crystal). I prefer smudging my crystals with sage or bathing them in salt water baths under moonlight or sunlight.
- Hold the crystal in your dominant hand or both hands (as I like to do) and neutralize your mind and energy.
- Gaze at your crystal, direct your energetic intention towards it. You might feel an electrical surge through your arms as you do this. You can visualize this surge, too.
- Verbally acknowledge the intention. You can recite your intention outloud, whisper, or mentally sound your intention. Some programming examples include recitations of "love," "tranquility," "fertility," "clairvoyance," "equanimity." You may also recite variations. For example, "I dedicate this crystal to bring joy into my life and those around me."
- Harmony. You should feel a sense of harmony once the crystal is successfully programmed. The programming is complete when you feel it is complete.
How to Cleanse Crystals
- Moonlight: Many crystals can be smudged in moonlight. This is especially good for raw or sensitive crystals. Simply set the crystal on a windowsill overnight and let the moonlight do its work.
- Sage or Palo Santo: White sage or palo santo may be used to smudge crystals. I like to light a white tea candle and use this to light the sage repeatedly.
How to Smudge a Crystal
- Ignite the sage or palo santo, and blow it out.
- The item should smoke.
- Hold the crystal in the smoke like you would an item under the running water and let it wash away the absorbed energy.
Crystal Healing Is a Personal Journey
The Science Behind Crystal Healing
So how do crystals affect our energetic bodies? To be alive is to be receptive to energy. Energy transference is one mode of healing crystal healers use on their clients. Even chemical changes from a simple crystal meditation, promoting positivity or relaxation of the mind, energetically and biologically transforms the body.
Crystals have been incorporated in healing by ancient civilizations for centuries but the exact evolution of crystal healing is non-linear (i.e. carnelian stone, lapis lazuli, turquoise, obsidian, jade). Nevertheless, humans have adapted crystals for use in modern medicine for decades. Some common usages for crystals include ultrasonography, doppler pressure monitors, and ultrasonic scalers (dentistry), just to name a few.
How to Use Crystals for Meditation
Let's do an exercise. Perhaps you have a crystal or mineral in your home. It can be a piece of jewelry, a rock (mineral), ideally a crystal, or simply an object that commands your attention. Set an intention for this meditation. For example, "I intend to open my heart to universal love," or "I intend to release any negative beliefs I have about my physical body." Look within and get deep.
- Placement. Place this object in a comfortable plain of view. Throughout this meditation, your head should be held in a neutral posture in relation to your body.
- Get comfortable. Make sure you use props, cushions, or any sort of physical assistance to keep you comfortable in the moment. Immerse yourself in the space free of distraction.
- Find your drishti (Sanskrit), a gaze, your point of attention. Direct your view towards your chosen item. Your gaze should not feel forced, but rather soft and relaxed. Keep your intention in mind.
- Allow your thoughts to wash through you. Your mind may be calling out to you about a pinched nerve in your back, or the appointment you have later this afternoon. Your dog may be barking, or the street cleaner sweeping. If the you are sensitive to sensory overload try ear plugs or soft instrumental music.
- Acknowledge your thoughts. Interruptive thoughts are natural as we begin to meditate. It is important to acknowledge a thought as "there," but to let it pass, like flipping channels on a television, or watching a set of waves wash in from the ocean.
- Accept and surrender. We do not define right or wrong thought process here. You are simply allowing yourself to be present and attuned. Let your mind be.
- Redirect and focus on breath. Prana, or life force, is quite literally the energetic flow of the universe in your body. That's why yogis use pranayama, or breathing technique, to focus their energy into their whole being. If you feel yourself slipping out of focus, redirect your attention to the body by visualizing and experiencing your flow of breath.
- Gently return. Whether you set the soft bell of a timer or naturally feel your meditation is complete, gently return to your surroundings. Allow yourself time to adjust. Some meditators choose to conclude with a prayer, a blessing, a bow, or any closure you see fit for your practice.
Video: The Benefits of Aquamarine Crystal
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Layne Holmes