Crystal Healing: Bloodstone Benefits, Properties, and Meaning
What Are the Benefits of Bloodstone?
Bloodstone is an extremely powerful stone with excellent cleansing properties. It is known for inspiring passion and was used as an audible oracle stone in the past. It comes in a beautiful deep red or red-green color; sometimes it contains red or yellow jasper.
Bloodstone offers the following benefits:
- dream clarity
Bloodstone has a red-green appearance and may be tumbled. It contains red and yellow jasper. This stone is often found in tumbled form.
Where Is It Found?
This mineral is readily available. It’s found in Australia, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, Russia, and India.
How Much Does Bloodstone Cost?
Bloodstone is fairly inexpensive in tumbled form. As a smaller stone, it can be found for under ten dollars. Higher quality stones and larger stones may reach $40 and up.
The Meaning and Properties of Bloodstone
Bloodstone is a great blood cleanser on a physical level and was formerly used for receiving audible oracles in ancient times. It is currently used for mystical and magical development, offering guidance. It wards off evil. It is especially good for grounding and protecting the user.
Bloodstone helps to enhance dreams (whether conscious or unconscious) and inspires creativity and passion. It helps one to live in the present moment and protects the user from entering into bad, negative, or frightening situations. This stone will help the user to develop personally and be accepting of and open to transformation.
It is an adaptive stone—calming the mind during difficult times. It gets rid of confusion and dissolves irritability. It can encourage one to become more spiritual and grounded in life.
Bloodstone encourages the flow of blood and lymph and helps to purify the blood. It is a natural energy booster and is great for purifying organs such as the liver, intestines, kidneys, bladder, and all blood-rich organs. This is a great stone to use on the lower chakras.
How to Use Bloodstone for Healing
Bloodstone can be carried in the pocket or worn as jewelry, as a pendant, on a belt buckle, in earrings, or as a ring. Carry it in tumbled form in your hand or pocket and place it over your thymus gland for good health. Place it on your night stand, under your pillow, or simply in your room.
This book is a must-have. It's what educated me about crystals when I first became interested. It's like having a dictionary around—it's simply necessary. I love this book and highly recommend it to all considering crystal healing.
How to Program a Crystal
So you have a crystal or stone. How do you program it? Programming your crystal is much like setting an intention. Below is a basic step-by-step method for programming:
- Neutralize. Make sure your crystal is energetically neutral (see resources below on how to cleanse your crystal). I prefer smudging my crystals with sage or bathing them in salt water baths under moonlight or sunlight.
- Hold the crystal in your dominant hand or both hands (as I like to do) and neutralize your mind and energy.
- Gaze at your crystal, direct your energetic intention towards it. You might feel an electrical surge through your arms as you do this. You can visualize this surge, too.
- Verbally acknowledge the intention. You can recite your intention outloud, whisper, or mentally sound your intention. Some programming examples include recitations of "love," "tranquility," "fertility," "clairvoyance," "equanimity." You may also recite variations. For example, "I dedicate this crystal to bring joy into my life and those around me."
- Harmony. You should feel a sense of harmony once the crystal is successfully programmed. The programming is complete when you feel it is complete.
How to Cleanse Crystals
- Moonlight: Many crystals can be smudged in moonlight. This is especially good for raw or sensitive crystals. Simply set the crystal on a windowsill overnight and let the moonlight do its work.
Sunlight: Sunlight is also another affective means to cleanse a crystal. You can leave the crystal out during the day and let the sun’s rays do its work.
- Sage or Palo Santo: White sage or palo santo may be used to smudge crystals. I like to light a white tea candle and use this to light the sage repeatedly.
How to Smudge a Crystal
- Ignite the sage or palo santo, and blow it out.
- The item should smoke.
- Hold the crystal in the smoke like you would an item under the running water and let it wash away the absorbed energy.
Crystal Healing Is a Personal Journey
The Science Behind Crystal Healing
So how do crystals affect our energetic bodies? To be alive is to be receptive to energy. Energy transference is one mode of healing crystal healers use on their clients. Even chemical changes from a simple crystal meditation, promoting positivity or relaxation of the mind, energetically and biologically transforms the body.
Crystals have been incorporated in healing by ancient civilizations for centuries but the exact evolution of crystal healing is non-linear (i.e. carnelian stone, lapis lazuli, turquoise, obsidian, jade). Nevertheless, humans have adapted crystals for use in modern medicine for decades. Some common usages for crystals include ultrasonography, doppler pressure monitors, and ultrasonic scalers (dentistry), just to name a few.
How to Use Crystals for Meditation
Let's do an exercise. Perhaps you have a crystal or mineral in your home. It can be a piece of jewelry, a rock (mineral), ideally a crystal, or simply an object that commands your attention. Set an intention for this meditation. For example, "I intend to open my heart to universal love," or "I intend to release any negative beliefs I have about my physical body." Look within and get deep.
- Placement. Place this object in a comfortable plain of view. Throughout this meditation, your head should be held in a neutral posture in relation to your body.
- Get comfortable. Make sure you use props, cushions, or any sort of physical assistance to keep you comfortable in the moment. Immerse yourself in the space free of distraction.
- Find your drishti (Sanskrit), a gaze, your point of attention. Direct your view towards your chosen item. Your gaze should not feel forced, but rather soft and relaxed. Keep your intention in mind.
- Allow your thoughts to wash through you. Your mind may be calling out to you about a pinched nerve in your back, or the appointment you have later this afternoon. Your dog may be barking, or the street cleaner sweeping. If the you are sensitive to sensory overload try ear plugs or soft instrumental music.
- Acknowledge your thoughts. Interruptive thoughts are natural as we begin to meditate. It is important to acknowledge a thought as "there," but to let it pass, like flipping channels on a television, or watching a set of waves wash in from the ocean.
- Accept and surrender. We do not define right or wrong thought process here. You are simply allowing yourself to be present and attuned. Let your mind be.
- Redirect and focus on breath. Prana, or life force, is quite literally the energetic flow of the universe in your body. That's why yogis use pranayama, or breathing technique, to focus their energy into their whole being. If you feel yourself slipping out of focus, redirect your attention to the body by visualizing and experiencing your flow of breath.
- Gently return. Whether you set the soft bell of a timer or naturally feel your meditation is complete, gently return to your surroundings. Allow yourself time to adjust. Some meditators choose to conclude with a prayer, a blessing, a bow, or any closure you see fit for your practice.
Video: The Benefits of Bloodstone
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Layne Holmes