Layne is a certified level 1 crystal healer and works with clients individually to help them overcome challenges and blockages.
What Are the Benefits of Larimar or Dolphin Stone?
Larimar, also called dolphin stone or blue pectolite, is an excellent earthing stone—it allows you to connect on a spiritual level to all things natural. It enhances consciousness and encourages a meditative state, removes blockages, and supports playful, childlike energy, and reconnects women to their feminine energy.
Larimar offers the following benefits:
- love and peace
- attracts a soulmate
- dissolves trauma
- removes guilt and fear
- brings calmness
- childlike energy
- attunes to the feminine
Blue, blue-green; sometimes swirled with gray or white. Typically found tumbled.
Where Is It Found?
The Bahamas and Dominican Republic.
How Much Does Larimar Cost?
Larimar is the only stone that is found throughout the Caribbean. Although easily obtained, high-quality pieces are harder to find. Larimar pendants may be found at a minimum of 20 dollars a piece, but you will typically pay 40 dollars and above for pendants or flat, penny-sized pieces. Larger pieces of high quality will cost several hundred dollars.
The Meaning and Properties of Larimar Crystal
Larimar is an incredible stone. It is often described as ethereal—connecting the user to new dimensions. This stone is one of piece and love, and connects individuals to the earth and the divine famine. It is a stone of harmony, dissolving blockages and trauma either present or from past lives.
Larimar is excellent for removing feelings of guilt and fear. It allows individuals to remain calm while dealing with stressful life events. It is also great for managing moods and brings about playful energy and lightness. It protects the user from environmental stressors and is great for grounding or earthing. It is a stone that connects with the earth goddess or divine famine, so it is especially great for women.
How to Use Larimar for Healing
Larimar can be carried in the pocket or worn as jewelry, as a pendant, in earrings, or as a ring. This stone is great for placement over heart, third eye, or solar plexus chakras. Place it on your night stand, under your pillow, or simply in your room. It is great when used on reflexology points or placed over areas of trauma. Place it on for near the feet to assist earthing.
How to Program a Crystal
So you have a crystal or stone. How do you program it? Programming your crystal is much like setting an intention. Below is a basic step-by-step method for programming:
- Neutralize. Make sure your crystal is energetically neutral (see resources below on how to cleanse your crystal). I prefer smudging my crystals with sage or bathing them in salt water baths under moonlight or sunlight.
- Hold the crystal in your dominant hand or both hands (as I like to do) and neutralize your mind and energy.
- Gaze at your crystal, direct your energetic intention towards it. You might feel an electrical surge through your arms as you do this. You can visualize this surge, too.
- Verbally acknowledge the intention. You can recite your intention outloud, whisper, or mentally sound your intention. Some programming examples include recitations of "love," "tranquility," "fertility," "clairvoyance," "equanimity." You may also recite variations. For example, "I dedicate this crystal to bring joy into my life and those around me."
- Harmony. You should feel a sense of harmony once the crystal is successfully programmed. The programming is complete when you feel it is complete.
How to Cleanse Crystals
- Moonlight: Many crystals can be smudged in moonlight. This is especially good for raw or sensitive crystals. Simply set the crystal on a windowsill overnight and let the moonlight do its work.
- Sunlight: Sunlight is also another affective means to cleanse a crystal. You can leave the crystal out during the day and let the sun’s rays do its work.
- Sage or Palo Santo: White sage or palo santo may be used to smudge crystals. I like to light a white tea candle and use this to light the sage repeatedly.
How to Smudge a Crystal
- Ignite the sage or palo santo, and blow it out.
- The item should smoke.
- Hold the crystal in the smoke like you would an item under the running water and let it wash away the absorbed energy.
The Science Behind Crystal Healing
So how do crystals affect our energetic bodies? To be alive is to be receptive to energy. Energy transference is one mode of healing crystal healers use on their clients. Even chemical changes from a simple crystal meditation, promoting positivity or relaxation of the mind, energetically and biologically transforms the body.
Crystals have been incorporated in healing by ancient civilizations for centuries but the exact evolution of crystal healing is non-linear (i.e. carnelian stone, lapis lazuli, turquoise, obsidian, jade). Nevertheless, humans have adapted crystals for use in modern medicine for decades. Some common usages for crystals include ultrasonography, doppler pressure monitors, and ultrasonic scalers (dentistry), just to name a few.
How to Use Crystals for Meditation
Let's do an exercise. Perhaps you have a crystal or mineral in your home. It can be a piece of jewelry, a rock (mineral), ideally a crystal, or simply an object that commands your attention. Set an intention for this meditation. For example, "I intend to open my heart to universal love," or "I intend to release any negative beliefs I have about my physical body." Look within and get deep.
- Placement. Place this object in a comfortable plain of view. Throughout this meditation, your head should be held in a neutral posture in relation to your body.
- Get comfortable. Make sure you use props, cushions, or any sort of physical assistance to keep you comfortable in the moment. Immerse yourself in the space free of distraction.
- Find your drishti (Sanskrit), a gaze, your point of attention. Direct your view towards your chosen item. Your gaze should not feel forced, but rather soft and relaxed. Keep your intention in mind.
- Allow your thoughts to wash through you. Your mind may be calling out to you about a pinched nerve in your back, or the appointment you have later this afternoon. Your dog may be barking, or the street cleaner sweeping. If the you are sensitive to sensory overload try ear plugs or soft instrumental music.
- Acknowledge your thoughts. Interruptive thoughts are natural as we begin to meditate. It is important to acknowledge a thought as "there," but to let it pass, like flipping channels on a television, or watching a set of waves wash in from the ocean.
- Accept and surrender. We do not define right or wrong thought process here. You are simply allowing yourself to be present and attuned. Let your mind be.
- Redirect and focus on breath. Prana, or life force, is quite literally the energetic flow of the universe in your body. That's why yogis use pranayama, or breathing technique, to focus their energy into their whole being. If you feel yourself slipping out of focus, redirect your attention to the body by visualizing and experiencing your flow of breath.
- Gently return. Whether you set the soft bell of a timer or naturally feel your meditation is complete, gently return to your surroundings. Allow yourself time to adjust. Some meditators choose to conclude with a prayer, a blessing, a bow, or any closure you see fit for your practice.
Video: The Benefits of Larimar
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2019 Layne Holmes
What's your favorite crystal?
Layne Holmes (author) from Bend, Oregon on April 11, 2019:
I got into it after a really bad injury that left me in bed for a while. It helped me work on my positivity. I like to think of them as meditative tools. The help ground us when we are feeling unstable. Larimar is really lovely to wear—it helps one to feel earthy and calm.
Ellison Hartley from Maryland, USA on April 11, 2019:
Interesting, I have always wondered about crystal healing, just didn't know much about it!