Selenite Stone Benefits, Properties, and Meaning
What Are the Benefits of Selenite?
Selenite is a beautiful stone and is most notably found in its pure-white form. It has a high-vibrational energy and brings peace to its user. It is a great stone for mental clarity and works on the crown and higher crown chakras. I use a selenite wand in my healing sessions to create a cocoon of light around my client.
Consider the benefits of selenite:
- high vibration
- peace of mind
- calm atmosphere
Pure white, blue, brown, green, or orange.
Where Is It Found?
The U.S.A., Mexico, Eastern Europe, Germany, France, and England.
How Much Does Selenite Cost?
Selenite is easily obtained. You can purchase selenite wands, points, or eggs for a fairly affordable price. I purchase my selenite wands for around $12 dollars (10-inch wand).
The Meanings and Properties of Selenite
Selenite is an extremely valuable stone for healing. It is most commonly found in its pure white form. It has a high vibrational energy and brings peace to the mind and peace to the atmosphere. It helps individuals to remain calm and allows them to connect to their higher selves. Selenite is described as a stone of "new vibrational energy."
This crystal is great for bringing about mental clarity. It works well on both the crown chakra and higher crown, connecting one to the angelic realm and aiding meditation, telepathy, and intuition. It brings lightness into a room and can be used to create protective grids inside a living space or around someone receiving crystal healing. The wands are useful for creating white light over the body and may help create a shell of protection.
Selenite is said to carry information from both past and present—it allows the user to dissolve past life traumas and may help with scrying (foreseeing the future). It brings clarity of mind, calmness, and works as a strong mood stabilizer.
Assists with earthing and connects one to the healing power of the earth.
Works on the third eye or throat chakra. Helps to clear the mind and assists meditation.
Helps the body to regenerate and instills an overall sense of wellness.
Also called angel's wing selenite, this stone helps to calm nerves and allows one to connect with the divine.
Desert Rose Selenite
Great for affirmations and dissolving barriers imposed on the self.
How to Use Selenite for Healing
Selenite can be carried in the pocket. This stone is great for creating a grid within the home or around a person—simply place a piece of selenite in all four corners of the home. Place a selenite tower on your night stand or simply in your room. I especially like to use selenite wands to run over my body or to create a shield around my clients.
How to Program a Crystal
So you have a crystal or stone. How do you program it? Programming your crystal is much like setting an intention. Below is a basic step-by-step method for programming:
- Neutralize. Make sure your crystal is energetically neutral (see resources below on how to cleanse your crystal). I prefer smudging my crystals with sage or bathing them in salt water baths under moonlight or sunlight.
- Hold the crystal in your dominant hand or both hands (as I like to do) and neutralize your mind and energy.
- Gaze at your crystal, direct your energetic intention towards it. You might feel an electrical surge through your arms as you do this. You can visualize this surge, too.
- Verbally acknowledge the intention. You can recite your intention outloud, whisper, or mentally sound your intention. Some programming examples include recitations of "love," "tranquility," "fertility," "clairvoyance," "equanimity." You may also recite variations. For example, "I dedicate this crystal to bring joy into my life and those around me."
- Harmony. You should feel a sense of harmony once the crystal is successfully programmed. The programming is complete when you feel it is complete.
How to Cleanse Crystals
- Moonlight: Many crystals can be smudged in moonlight. This is especially good for raw or sensitive crystals. Simply set the crystal on a windowsill overnight and let the moonlight do its work.
Sunlight: Sunlight is also another affective means to cleanse a crystal. You can leave the crystal out during the day and let the sun’s rays do its work.
- Sage or Palo Santo: White sage or palo santo may be used to smudge crystals. I like to light a white tea candle and use this to light the sage repeatedly.
How to Smudge a Crystal
- Ignite the sage or palo santo, and blow it out.
- The item should smoke.
- Hold the crystal in the smoke like you would an item under the running water and let it wash away the absorbed energy.
I often cleanse my crystals in water with a pinch of salt, but selenite should never be submerged in water.
Crystal Healing Is a Personal Journey
The Science Behind Crystal Healing
So how do crystals affect our energetic bodies? To be alive is to be receptive to energy. Energy transference is one mode of healing crystal healers use on their clients. Even chemical changes from a simple crystal meditation, promoting positivity or relaxation of the mind, energetically and biologically transforms the body.
Crystals have been incorporated in healing by ancient civilizations for centuries but the exact evolution of crystal healing is non-linear (i.e. carnelian stone, lapis lazuli, turquoise, obsidian, jade). Nevertheless, humans have adapted crystals for use in modern medicine for decades. Some common usages for crystals include ultrasonography, doppler pressure monitors, and ultrasonic scalers (dentistry), just to name a few.
How to Use Crystals for Meditation
Let's do an exercise. Perhaps you have a crystal or mineral in your home. It can be a piece of jewelry, a rock (mineral), ideally a crystal, or simply an object that commands your attention. Set an intention for this meditation. For example, "I intend to open my heart to universal love," or "I intend to release any negative beliefs I have about my physical body." Look within and get deep.
- Placement. Place this object in a comfortable plain of view. Throughout this meditation, your head should be held in a neutral posture in relation to your body.
- Get comfortable. Make sure you use props, cushions, or any sort of physical assistance to keep you comfortable in the moment. Immerse yourself in the space free of distraction.
- Find your drishti (Sanskrit), a gaze, your point of attention. Direct your view towards your chosen item. Your gaze should not feel forced, but rather soft and relaxed. Keep your intention in mind.
- Allow your thoughts to wash through you. Your mind may be calling out to you about a pinched nerve in your back, or the appointment you have later this afternoon. Your dog may be barking, or the street cleaner sweeping. If the you are sensitive to sensory overload try ear plugs or soft instrumental music.
- Acknowledge your thoughts. Interruptive thoughts are natural as we begin to meditate. It is important to acknowledge a thought as "there," but to let it pass, like flipping channels on a television, or watching a set of waves wash in from the ocean.
- Accept and surrender. We do not define right or wrong thought process here. You are simply allowing yourself to be present and attuned. Let your mind be.
- Redirect and focus on breath. Prana, or life force, is quite literally the energetic flow of the universe in your body. That's why yogis use pranayama, or breathing technique, to focus their energy into their whole being. If you feel yourself slipping out of focus, redirect your attention to the body by visualizing and experiencing your flow of breath.
- Gently return. Whether you set the soft bell of a timer or naturally feel your meditation is complete, gently return to your surroundings. Allow yourself time to adjust. Some meditators choose to conclude with a prayer, a blessing, a bow, or any closure you see fit for your practice.
The Benefits of Selenite
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2019 Layne Holmes