Christy is an empath and intuitive. She loves to help others discover, grow, and nurture their abilities.
Some Background Information
When a person thinks of crystals, they will generally envision small, colorful, smooth, or rough stones. Every crystal has its metaphysical and healing property, and the use of crystals is seemingly becoming more popular. However, there are carved crystals out there that are carved into specific shapes. One of those types of carved crystals is a skull. While crystal skulls have been around for centuries, they have picked up in popularity since the latest installment of the Indiana Jones franchise in 2008.
Thinking back to the first time I saw a crystal skull, I had never even heard of them before my encounter. I was at a little local shop getting a reading done when I saw this big skull made from crystal on the table. The intuitive I was seeing made a comment about how a previous practitioner must have left it and how odd that was because she never just left her skulls around. I was a bit freaked out. I was thinking that that was one of the strangest things I had ever seen, but put it out of my mind. A few months later I was meeting the lady with the crystal skulls. Then the dream came.
It was a very vivid dream. In the dream, I knew I was on an island somewhere, although it was not clear where. Per the way the people were dressed, it appeared that I was witnessing some sort of ceremony on the islands. The dream finished with me in a large bright room with a large quartz crystal skull in the middle. The skull spoke to me and I knew that I needed to learn more about skulls.
While not everyone is going to have such a strange first encounter with a skull, they can still be very intriguing for anyone interested. Thus, we are going to learn more about their history, different types of skulls, and how to choose and work with your own skull.
The Ancient Skulls
Ancient skulls are said to be over 1500 years old. These skulls are a bit more primitive looking than the modern ones of today. Legend has it that there are 13 of the ancient skulls. When all brought together, they will bring the universe into a new paradigm that will awaken everyone. No one knows for sure how the ancient skulls were made, some say they weren't even made by human hands. Thus, the ancient skulls are probably the most mysterious out of any of the skulls since so little is known about their true origin.
The ancient skulls still exist today. They have guardians, are in private collections, or are in museums.
- Mitchell-Hedges skull is the most famous skull; it is clear quartz. This was a skull found by British explorer F.A. Mitchell-Hedges. The skull went into the keeping of his daughter until her death at an old age when it became the responsibility of Bill Homann who has named it the "Skull of Love."
- Synergy is an ancient clear quartz skull whose guardian is Sherry Whitfield. Sherry and Synergy are both amazing to be around and hearing Synergy’s story is a delight. He was found in Micronesia and is known as the laughing skull.
- Sha Na Ra is another clear quartz skull named for Shaman Guide, found in 1995 around Mexico.
- E.T. is a smoky quartz skull that has an appearance of an alien, hence the name E.T.. He found near Guatemala.
- Max is a clear quartz skull from Guatemala. He is considered the Texas crystal skull and is used by the Mayan priest. However, he is not limited to Texas—he and his guardian Joann Parks travel the world.
- Einstein is a milky quartz skull founded in Mexico. He is known as the skull of consciousness. His guardian is Carolyn Ford.
The Old Skulls
You do not hear as much about the old skulls as you do the rest. These skulls are considered to be between 100-1500 years old. They are not as old and mysterious as the ancient skulls, yet not as plentiful as the contemporary. One of the most popular old skulls would be the British Museum skull. This skull was once considered ancient, but due to testing and research after tool marks were discovered on the skull, it was found not to be as old as the ancient skulls, hence landing in the category of old skulls.
- The British Museum skull is known as the Aztec skull. This skull was acquired from Tiffany’s in the late 1800s and put in a museum for a few years before finally making his way to his permanent spot in the British Museum.
These are the ones that are made currently or are less than 100 years old.
One skull that is considered both an ancient and old skull, that has some controversy surrounding it, is the Smithsonian crystal skull. This skull is different from others in the sense that it is milky quartz, hollow, and weighs over 30 pounds. It was first originally considered to be Aztec, but later discovered to be from Mexico. It has been decided that this skull was made within the last 100 years, thus making it a contemporary skull. While it is part of the Smithsonian collection, it is usually not on display.
Other contemporary skulls include all the recent skulls that have been made. It is easy to find a crystal skull to buy. There are various sizes, crystals, and designs used. You can find these skulls online or from sellers. I have found some through the internet, a local vendor, and through gemstone shows. While these do not have the mysterious origins that the ancient ones have, they still have the same benefits and results.
Read More From Remedygrove
How to Pick Your Skull
What do you do if you would like to get a skull? You may think you will never get one of those things, those are weird. When they start calling to you, you will realize how wrong you were. I had originally said I was never going to have any skulls, now I have a large collection of them. Skulls come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and stones.
A few ways to help you decide on your skull:
- Research the stone types and look at ones that resonate with your needs. For example, if you need a stone to help calm you, you may consider getting an amethyst skull.
- Sometimes skulls will pick you. If you are drawn to it, dream of it, or it "speaks" to you, it's meant to be yours. One thing that I have noticed: if it is meant to come to you it will find its way.
If you are still not sure about a skull or what type to get, find a clear quartz skull that resonates with you. If you notice, most of the ancient skulls are clear quartz. Clear quartz is a magnifier for all other crystals and is a good beginner’s crystal.
How to Work With Your Skulls
Alright, so you have picked out your skull, now what? First, skulls have different personalities. Once the shape is carved into the stone, a life force takes place within that stone. Out of my skulls, I have those that are serious, some are silly, some are very quiet, and some talk a lot. Each one has its own purpose and intention. Therefore, just like any other crystal, it needs to be activated.
Some tips to activate:
- One of the first things I do when I get a new skull is ask its name. Sometimes, you may not get a name for a while, or maybe just a letter. Other times you may get their name before they even get to you. Just ask it its name. The first thing that comes to your mind is their name, no matter how simple or strange the name may be.
- Meditating with the skull is where you will sit down and have a chance to be still and quiet. Hold the skull while you meditate and see what you feel, hear, and/or see.
- Sometimes it is good just to sit it near you as you go about your day or spend time at home. Just spend some time with the skull. Handle it gently, this is usually when I start getting a feel for their energy.
Once you start working with skulls, it can bring up some old issues that need resolving. Be prepared to face these issues. Some people don't like what they see, but once you work through the issues, you will be fine. Also, don't be surprised if your skull feels light, heavy, cold, or hot. Sometimes they will change color variations. This is due to your mood and the "mood" and energy going through the skull.
Crystals skulls aren't to be taken lightly. They can be a joy to work with, but if you are not ready or do not want to take time and have the patience, move on. Crystal skulls aren't for all people, but if you feel called to them, don't hold back!
Charlie: My First Skull
The first skull I got was not the one I had been eyeing. I had a pretty dark purple sparkly skull picked out. However, a tiny voice in my head brought my attention to a light bluish/green skull. In shock, I realized that the voice I was hearing was that of the skull and he would not stop talking. I decided if I were to get any peace he had to go with me. You can meet my first skull, Charlie, in my video below.
Charlie: My First Skull
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2017 Christy