Being an Empath
What Is an Empath?
Have you ever randomly started having strong emotions and not know where they came from? Have you ever felt something and realized you didn’t think they were your feelings? Do you get overwhelmed by going into large crowds? What about if you have to go somewhere like a hospital, how does that make you feel?
If you answered yes to any of these things, you may be an empath. So, what is an empath? Empathy itself is being able to feel and share in the feelings of others. Being an empath means you have the ability to pick up on other people's feelings and feel what they feel. You can intuitively pick up on what people are feeling and going through. You pick up on their energy.
Am I Going Crazy?
If you have experienced any of this before, you may think you are going crazy. It can be unsettling if you do not know what is going on. I use to have huge issues with going into very crowded places. I would start having an anxiety attack on some occasions. There were times that I would be somewhere and all of a sudden, I would be extremely sad for no apparent reason. I would almost feel like this crushing feeling right in my heart. Then it would disappear as quickly as it had appeared. I would later find out that a family member or close friend was going through something at that time.
This explained a lot. This was why I had more anxiety than I thought I should have. This explained why I would get these feelings out of nowhere. This explained why I had such a hard time going to certain places or even talking or being around people in certain moods. Yes, I thought I had lost it at first. After a while, I realized this was part of who I was and that I should embrace it. I decided to use it to help people. While some people would hide their feelings when something was really wrong, I could tell otherwise and would offer a kind word or a listening ear if they wanted it. However, I had to learn to control it first.
Controlling the Abilities
Controlling this ability was not an easy thing to do. In fact, once I was aware of it, I felt like I started picking up on things even more. Now, it probably wasn’t more than usual, I just knew what was going on now. It was hard to keep everything out and even harder to distinguish what were my feelings and what were those of others. Then, when I figured out it wasn’t my feelings, I would have to figure out who they did belong to.
Being an empath can be strange at first. You have these feelings and you really don’t know where they came from; it can be overwhelming. One of the hardest things I had to learn was to tell the difference between my feelings and someone else’s. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment of the feelings and not actually look into the source of the feelings. Here is just a brief list of things that helped me when I was first realizing the abilities.
The first thing to do before anything else is to protect yourself. I do this on a daily basis, especially before going into a place I know will have a lot of people and/or emotions.
- I like to visualize a big bubble that completely surrounds me. Sometimes, I picture it as a mirrored ball where everything reflects back to the person reflecting it.
- I ask my guides and angels to protect me and say a little prayer. If I have unexplained feelings come up, I try process of elimination. Is there any reason I should be feeling this way? No, then it must not be mine. Be aware of those around you and how they are acting.
- Acknowledge and let go. I always acknowledge the feelings and then let them go. Sometimes I will get a picture in my head of who it belongs to. If I do, then I will ask that person if everything is going ok (if it’s a negative feeling) before really letting it go.
As an empath, it is important not to take on too much of the emotions. It is too easy to get caught up in the emotions and want to take the weight off those who are feeling them. Help if you can, but then release it. If I am in a place or situation where it gets overwhelming or I am picking up a lot of negative energy
- I will take an Epsom salt bath to cleanse myself of all the energy.
- I also carry crystals with me to help.
- clear quartz amplifies energy and thought, works well with all other crystals
- black tourmaline, protection and grounding
- amethyst, heighten intuition
- tourmalated quartz, protection
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2017 Christy