If You Can't Smudge: Other Ways to Cleanse and Purify Your Home
Alternatives to Smudging With Smoke
Nowadays, everyone seems to be getting into the practice of smudging to cleanse one's space from negative energies. Smudging is an ancient practice of using smoke from a purifying herb to drive away negative forces and spirits. This was used by the Native Americans, but also by other ancient cultures in various forms. The most popular herb to use in smudging is white sage, however, white sage is becoming increasingly endangered because of the boom in product sales in recent years and because of other environmental factors. This is one reason to look into other methods of cleansing and purifying one's home.
While many of us love to smudge, there are those who can't smudge for different reasons. Maybe you are allergic to sage. Maybe you are asthmatic or allergic to smoke of any kind. Maybe you live in a small space with people who don't like the smell or don't appreciate your practice. Whatever your reason is for not being able to smudge, do not worry. There are plenty of other effective ways of cleansing and purifying your home and space. If someone tells you the only way to cleanse is through smudging, tell them to SMUDGE OFF.
Cleansing and Purification With Sound
One of the first suggestions I gave to people asking how to cleanse their space without smudging is to use the amazing, purifying effect of sound. Sounds are vibratory and can clean out a space of negativity just as well as smoke from sage can. The key is to select the right kind of sound.
When I can't smudge my house with sage or other herbs, I use my Tibetan singing bowls. You can purchase these for fairly cheap online. Keep in mind that you don't have to spend hundreds on an "authentic antique" bowl—newly manufactured bowls work just fine. If you can't purchase a singing bowl, you can always download or stream singing bowl music from Spotify, iTunes, Pandora, or any other music application. Play the singing bowls in whatever room or space you want to cleanse and purify.
Other sounds that have a purifying effect include:
- high vibrational music (chakra, meditation, native, Celtic flutes, etc.)
- nature sounds: ocean waves, fireside crackling, waterfalls, etc.
- steady or shamanic drumming
- wind chimes
Before doing a complete spiritual cleansing of your space, make sure to physically clean and de-clutter.— Nicole Canfield
Cleaning, Sweeps, Washes, and Sprays
- Clean your space physically top to bottom. Dust, vacuum, mop, sweep, pick up, etc.. Do what you have to do to make your home clean and free of dust, debris, and grime. Actual physical dirt can also signify energetic dirt. In addition, you will want to de-clutter your home as much as possible. If you have too many items and junk cluttering your space, this creates blockages energetically-speaking and will prevent the free flow of positive energy. Clutter promotes stagnant energy that can trap or mutate into negative energy. So get out your old clothes, furniture, knick-knacks, etc., and donate to the nearest thrift store.
- Use a magical floor sweep or floor wash. While you're cleaning your floors, you can always use a magical floor sweep or floor wash to "cleanse" and remove negative energy from the floors. You can purchase these online, or make your own. A floor sweep is when herbs are scattered onto hard floors, then swept up. You can also vacuum it up if you have carpeted floors, but make sure you have a strong vacuum. A floor wash is an herbal-infused water that you can use to mop your hard floors. The idea is that the herbs have cleansing properties that will cleanse away negative energy while you physically clean - a double whammy!
- Try a cleansing smudge spray. Another simple and effective way of cleansing one's home and sacred space without smudging is to use a cleansing smudge spray. These can be found online and in metaphysical stores. Simply spray around the house and the herbal-infused concoction will do its job to remove negative energy, just like the smoke from a smudge bundle.
Cleansing With White Light
Another extremely effective means of purification of space is by using white light. White light is the purest form of light and can be accessed and used in different ways.
You can use a white candle's light to "light up the darkness" and drive away negativity. Light the white candle, and slowly travel from room to room, allowing the white light to hit every space and crevice you feel needs to be cleansed. Let it burn in whatever room you plan to stay in, as you don't want to leave a flame unattended. Imagine the candle's flame burning brightly and lighting up your entire house with its pure white light energy, cleansing your space of negativity.
The cleansing effect of sunlight is often forgotten. If you live in a dark space, open the blinds/windows/curtains and let the natural light in! Negative energy often thrives in dark, small spaces, so let the light into your darkest rooms to help cleanse your space. Also, if the weather is okay, throw the windows open to let some fresh air in! Stagnant air can also be a breeding place for negative energy.
An extremely convenient option of cleansing with white light is by visualization. Basically, you will see in your mind's eye (imagination), a white light that grows from an area in your house and spreads until its filled every room with pure positive universal energy. This white light will cleanse and purify your space. Hold the visualization for as long as you can, but I typically try to hold it for fifteen minutes or so. You can also do this while in a meditative state of mind or if you are Reiki-certified, use Reiki to cleanse your space!