An Effective Natural Kidney Stone Treatment
Kidney Stone Treatment Options
The kidneys are an important part of the body’s system for filtering out the often life-threatening toxins that could otherwise harm the body.
And as with any organ, if the workload is too heavy for too long, something is bound to go wrong.
One of the more common issues that can arise with kidneys is the formation of kidney stones.
Even the smallest of kidney stones can lead to pain in the back (typically in the flank area), the lower abdomen, and even into the groin area.
As a chiropractor, I will occasionally have a patient come in with what they believe to be back pain from a subluxation, but is actually referred pain from the kidneys.
Your medical or chiropractic doctor will likely attempt to diagnose your condition through tests such as a kidney punch, in an attempt to elicit pain over the kidney area in the back, or even diagnostic tests such as CT imaging in order to visualize the stones.
If kidney stones are found, there is high likelihood the medical practitioner will refer you to a urologist for a follow-up consultation and treatment.
This is where you start having to make tough decisions. Depending on the size of the stones, you may elect to try a more conservative or natural route over a more aggressive procedure, such as breaking up the kidney stones, or even more invasive approaches like surgery.
As someone who has a family history of kidney stones, and as someone who has personally been diagnosed with and passed kidney stones, I prefer to take a conservative approach.
I’m not saying a conservative or natural approach of treating kidney stones is for everyone—especially if the stones reach a size in millimeters that makes them more difficult to pass. However, with stones that are no bigger than a few millimeters, this particular kidney cleanse or kidney stone flushing formula may be just the perfect solution.
Fresh Organic Parsley
The Parsley Kidney Cleanse
This is a simple way to cleanse your kidneys and it may in and of itself help remove small stone particulates that have formed within the kidneys as well.
- Thoroughly wash and chop up a full bunch of fresh parsley (organic is preferred).
- Put the chopped parsley into a medium sized pot of lightly boiling water and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Pull the parsley water off the burner and let it cool for 2 hours.
- Now you need to filter the water. Any strainer that will catch all parsley sediment should work fine.
- Put the parley water in containers and place them in the refrigerator.
- Twice a day poor yourself an 8 ounce cup of parsley water and drink it down.
- Continue this for 3 days while ensuring that you also maintain a high level of additional water intake of at least 2.5 liters (roughly 10 cups) daily.
Consult with your physician before consuming large quantities of parsley for an extended period of time. Extended consumption of parsley has shown to produce adverse side effects. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding check with your doctor before proceeding.
If you’re still experiencing pain or have a confirmed diagnosis that you do have stones in the kidneys that can pass, move on to The Kidney Stone Relief Formula.
Olive Oil, Vinegar and Lemon
Kidney Stone Relief Formula
This process was given to me by a homeopathic practitioner several years ago and while I am sure there are many other versions online, this remedy has worked well for me and others who have used it.
- Mix 2 oz of lemon juice with 3 oz of olive oil. If you can get organic, even better… we are cleansing after all! Drink it down. Let 30 to 40 minutes pass.
- Now mix 1 tablespoon organic raw apple cider vinegar into 8 oz of water and add 2 oz of lemon juice.
- Lay on your stomach on the bed and scoot towards the edge of the mattress until your upper torso is hanging off the bed while your legs remain on the bed. Use your arms for support on the floor and also don’t do this maneuver if you have lower back issues or any condition it might aggravate. Now you will reach back and strike the area of your kidneys lightly with your fist. In other words, you are performing a ‘kidney punch’ maneuver on yourself to help loosen the stones within the kidney.
- If the kidney stone related pain continues, 45 minutes later repeat step 2 above. You can continue this step several more times every 45 minutes to 1.5 hours until the pain subsides. If you have stomach pain or any issues with the with ingesting the apple cider vinegar, stop the process.
Tips for Preventing Kidney Stones
The logical approach to avoid ever having to suffer kidney stone related pain is of course to prevent getting them altogether.
Follow these 5 rules for kidney stone prevention and put the odds in your favor that you will never have to put in the effort to rid yourself of these pesky particulates.
- Reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol: From sodas to beer, they all act to dehydrate the body in their own ‘special’ way. By continually ingesting them each day you stay perpetually dehydrated.
- Drink more water: Aim for 3 quarts minimum per day to help keep the kidneys flushed out and hydrated.
- Reduce red meat intake: It increases the likelihood you will form stones.
- Exercise: The more sedentary you are, the more likely it is that your bones will release calcium into the blood which can contribute to kidney stone formation. As well, people who don’t exercise are more likely to have high blood pressure which increases the likelihood you will develop the stones.
- Reduce sugar intake: A high sugar diet, and especially a high fructose corn syrup diet, can interfere with your body’s ability to absorb calcium and magnesium leading to a deficiency which is linked to kidney stones.
Anyone who has experienced the pain associated with kidney stones will tell you that the fear of passing them—and the actual pain associated with them—are both very well founded.
While the above approach is not intended to replace proper diagnosis or medical intervention for a kidney stone that warrants it, pain in the kidney region may respond very well to the process outlined in this article.
Should your pain get worse or not respond well to homeopathic or home remedies, you should immediately get checked out by a licensed M.D. to ensure there is not an infection or something more severe going on with your kidney.