12 Useful Benefits of Natural Apple Cider Vinegar
My Morning Ritual
Since my late teens, I've added raw, organic apple cider vinegar to my glass of water in the mornings and drink it down before my cup of coffee or breakfast. There were times when I stopped this morning ritual, but I always returned to the practice after noticing a difference in my overall health. If it wasn't apple cider vinegar in my morning water, it was fresh lemon juice.
A Powerful Cleaning Agent
As an organic, natural, and non-distilled substance, apple cider vinegar is an effective and powerful cleansing and healing solution. Throughout centuries it's been cited as a natural antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria.
That is not why I drink it each morning. My tablespoon of the organic liquid in a glass of water each morning helps cleanse and rejuvenate my body. At the same time, it keeps my body's pH balance at a healthy level.
Of the many whole food choices out there, apple cider vinegar is one of the cheapest and most natural food sources to incorporate into a detoxification weight management program.— Amy Leigh Mercree, Apple Cider Vinegar Handbook: Recipes for Natural Living
Europeans Brought Apples to America
Apples were introduced to America when the Europeans settled in the new country around the 1600s. Once the apples became a staple crop, the settlers pressed hard apple cider, and some of that was allowed to ferment and become apple cider vinegar. The solution became a condiment and a preserving agent for vegetables. The vinegar was also used for household tasks like cleaning and disinfecting. Every homesteader used it as a medicine for whatever ailed a person at the time.
During the American Revolution, apple cider vinegar sterilized wounds or festering injuries on injured soldiers. Patients found the treatment soothing and refreshing. During ancient times, apple cider vinegar used to make tonics to ward off diseases and other ailments.
All in all, the acetic acid of the vinegar acts as an antibacterial agent. It cleaned and sterilized the wounds and disinfected the households. These days, apple cider vinegar treats much less severe conditions.
"Outlander" Episode Used ACV for Skunk Smell
While watching one of the Outlander Season 4 episodes on Starz, Ian's wolfhound met his smelling fate with a skunk. Ian, being from Scotland, knew nothing about skunks. A local mountain man helps cure his dog by bathing the dog in vinegar. Even though it is a natural deodorant for humans, vinegar is an effective antidote for skunk smell.
Do you use apple cider vinegar?
Twelve Benefits of Using ACV
- Bathe With Apple Cider Vinegar: Do the skin a favor and take a hot bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar. Human skin is acidic, so the vinegar bath increases the pH level and treats the skin. People experience softer and healthier-looking skin after taking a bath with vinegar. Anyone with a sunburn needs to take an apple cider vinegar bath to heal the skin.
- Rid the Feet of Fungal Itch: People with toenail fungus or athlete's foot soak their feet in apple cider vinegar. Men treat jock itch with the vinegar as well. The antibacterial properties of the vinegar kill the fungus (Budak, Aykin, Seydim, Greene, & Guzel-Seydim 2014).
- Natural Deodorant: When someone wants to naturally keep their body odor down, a little dab of apple cider vinegar works. They take their two fingers and soak them with apple cider vinegar then dab under their armpits. The vinegar kills the odor while feeling fresh.
- Treats Colds and Sore Throats: For people who want to fight a sore throat or even a cold, apple cider vinegar is a cure-all. Or, they can take it every day to ward off any germs or bacteria.
- Cough Remedy: Relieving discomfort from a cough or persistent cough that refuses to go away try adding local honey to warm ACV. Drink the tonic regularly until cough or even cold is gone. The tonic helps you sleep through the night with sips taken each time your cough wakes you up.
- Helps Manage Type 1 and 2 Diabetes Patients: ACV achieved standing as one of the sources that help reduce type II diabetes symptoms. Like diabetes medications that block the body’s absorption of sugars and starches, apple cider vinegar does similar actions, according to Arizona State University’s Professor and Associate Director of Nutrition Program Carol Johnston. American Association of Diabetes confirmed that ACV helped reduce the blood sugar levels of type 1 diabetes patients. Studies support that apple cider vinegar consumption improves insulin sensitivity in type II diabetes patients who are insulin-resistant (Iman, Moallem, & Barahoyee 2015).
- Treatment for Dandruff: If you have dandruff and want an effective natural remedy, Apple cider vinegar is your answer (Budak et al. 2014). Dr. Oz confirms ACV is an excellent treatment for dandruff. On his website, he reports the acidity of ACV changes the pH of the scalp, preventing yeast from growing. Using a spray bottle, pour in 1/4 cup ACV and 1/4 cup water. Shake the spray bottle until the ingredients are well mixed. Spray your head and hair, take a large towel, and wrap your head tight with it. Keep the head covered for 15 minutes to 60 minutes. The longer you keep your hair wrapped, the better. Wash your head of hair with shampoo and conditioner. For the recommended treatment is to do this twice a week.
- Treats Acne: For over a decade, studies prove that ACV treats acne and reduces scarring caused by the skin condition. The vinegar prevents the development of Propionibacterium acnes, the bacteria liable to cause acne. Vinegar contains antibacterial traits and effective when used on various strains of dangerous bacteria.
- Whitens Teeth: ACV brightens your teeth and smile by brushing your teeth with the vinegar. Make sure you rinse out your mouth and don’t overdo it. Too much of a good thing can remove enamel from your teeth.
- Air Freshener: Some commercial air fresheners do more harm than good when it comes to cleaning the air. They manage to mask the odors while introducing new unsuitable particles to the atmosphere. ACV is a more effective and inexpensive alternative. You can create a spray or set some out in a glass or ceramic bowl. As a spray, the formula is one part water to one part ACV in a spray bottle. You create a fine mist anywhere there are smells. Using a bowl, add the same about of water and ACV, but make sure the water is warm so it evaporates into the smelly room.
- Fatigue: Two teaspoons of ACV in a cup of water with two teaspoons of honey makes an excellent energy boost. Mix the ingredients well. You can prepare the drink ahead of time.
- Heartburn: I like to mix well one teaspoon of ACV with one cup of filtered water and drink it after every meal, but this isn't guaranteed to work for everyone as limited scientific evidence suggests its efficacy.
Apple Cider Vinegar has excellent antibacterial properties, but its benefit in your first aid kit go far beyond that, especially when it comes to your skin.— Amy Leigh Mercree, Apple Cider Vinegar Handbook: Recipes for Natural Living
Quality is Important
The best quality of apple cider vinegar should be available in every home. I drink a non-distilled, organic, raw version of the liquid. The better the quality of vinegar, the better it is for the body. The vinegar is supposed to look cloudy, which means it's a high-quality grade because it is raw.
Budak, N. H., Aykin, E., Seydim, A. C., Greene, A. K. and Guzel‐Seydim, Z. B. (2014), Functional Properties of Vinegar. Journal of Food Science, (79), R757-R764. Accessed July 23rd, 2019.
Iman, M., Moallem, S. A., & Barahoyee, A. (2015). Effect of apple cider vinegar on blood glucose level in diabetic mice. Pharmaceutical Sciences, 20(4), 163.
(1998) Entani E1, Asai M, Tsujihata S, Tsukamoto Y, Ohta M. Antibacterial action of vinegar against food-borne pathogenic bacteria including Escherichia coli US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, Nakano Central Research Institute of Nakano Vinegar Co. Ltd., Handa, Japan
Managing adolescent acne DP Krowchuk - Pediatrics in review, 2005 - pdfs.semanticscholar.org… Bacteria Propionibacterium acnes is an anaerobic, gram-positive diphtheroid that colonizes
R Miglani, GN Karibasappa, AS Dodamani… - Indian Journal of Oral …, 2012 - indjos.com the effectiveness of sodium chloride and vinegar in reducing the varying degree of dental fluorosis, effects of hard and soft
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Questions & Answers
Can apple cider vinegar be used to treat plantar warts?
Yes, apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective remedies to apply. Take a cotton ball, soak it in AVC, place it over the wart on the bottom of the foot, and secure it with duct tape. It is best to reapply every few days until the wart is gone.Helpful 1
© 2018 Kenna McHugh