Linda is a 56-year-old woman who has lived in the North East all of her life. She has written a book of poetry called "Heartfelt Emotions."
Why Is Coconut Oil so Popular?
Coconut oil has a wide variety of health benefits, from hair and skin use, to using it around the house. I have been using it for a very long time before it gained the popularity it has today. It is affordable and easily available at most grocery stores. It can be used in place of your cooking oils in any recipe, and it also tastes good. In addition, its high smoking point makes it great for stovetop cooking. In fact, you can replace any recipe that calls for an oil with coconut oil. It can also replace your butter intake.
Coconut oil is high in lauric acid and the MCFA content will help build your metabolism when you use it in your food. It is found to have a ton of lauric acid, which is found in human breast milk. Lauric acid converts into monolaurin in your body. Studies show that Monolaurin is useful in increasing your immune system.
There are many types of coconut oil out there, but the best one to use is the unrefined, organic type. This type of oil offers the most of the benefits that I have listed below. It is taken from fresh coconut using a wet-milled fermentation process that protects the properties of the oil. It also has the highest antioxidant levels of all coconut oil. This process they use does use heat, and studies have shown that it doesn't harm the oil or reduce any of the nutrient levels. In fact, the heat may create a higher quality oil.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
There are many health benefits in coconut oil, too.
- It has been shown to help you absorb calcium and magnesium.
- You can take coconut oil internally as part of the routine to help get more minerals on your teeth.
- It is a great source of energy when you eat it and will not be stored as fat.
- Coconut oil can help you loss weight when taken every day.
- It can help you sleep better when taken daily.
- When you use it in food, it can help with your thyroid function.
- Coconut oil has been shown in some studies to help with insulin levels when taken daily.
- If you use it on the skin it can help you heal faster because of its fat.
- When used consistently on your skin it can help get rid of cellulite.
- Some studies indicate that coconut oil can help with anxiety and depression.
- When taken regularly, it can boost your hormone production.
- When used topically it can help with hemorrhoid pain.
- Some studies show it can help with circulation.
- During pregnancy when taken internally can help the baby with fats for its development
- Books have been written that indicate if taken regularly, it may help to avoid Alzheimer’s.
There are so many uses for this miracle oil, it's amazing! These are just a few of what the experts say coconut oil can do; I do believe we all should be using this on a regular basis.
Beauty Uses of Coconut Oil
The same things that make coconut oil great for your cooking recipes make coconut oil good for your hair and skin:
- On your skin it can be used as a basic lotion for dry skin.
- Coconut oil can be used with other oils for a cleanser of the skin.
- Mixed together with Shea butter it can be used as a soothing body lotion.
- Coconut oil can be used in your homemade deodorant because of its antibacterial properties which help with odor control.
- It can be used as a natural makeup remover and will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth.
- Can be used to help with the pain of sunburn.
- Added to a few drops of your favorite essential oil, it makes for a wonderful massage oil.
- Makes a great body scrub when mixed with equal parts sugar.
- Coconut oil makes a natural lip balm.
- Can be used in your homemade soap recipes.
- Makes a natural lube and does not disturb the vaginal flora.
- Coconut oil makes a wonderful tanning oil.
- Can be used with baking soda for a homemade toothpaste and will also whiten your teeth.
- Rubbed on your cuticles, it will help with nail growth.
- Can be used on your hair as a great conditioner or for frizz control.
Read More From Remedygrove
The Final Verdict
There is a ton of information on coconut oil use on the internet and I have just scratched the surface of what the experts say this oil can do for you.
Do your own research and see what you come up with. I guess the bottom line is to try it and see if you get the benefits that all the studies have shown.
If you have any of your own uses for coconut oil that I have not listed, please let me know in the comments below and have a great time experimenting with it.
For more information about coconut oil please refer to these resources:
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Linda L Paquette (author) from New Hampshire/ Massachusettes on October 31, 2017:
thank you so much for the added info about coconut oil use.
NewLifeOutlook on October 31, 2017:
Great article, Linda! Coconut oil is also great for those living with psoriasis. Many people living with psoriasis notice their skin heals faster and is less inflamed, dry, itchy and prone to infection.