Theresa is the author of a book on essential oils and has been an advocate for alternative health therapies for 10 years.
Although most essential oils are rich in therapeutic properties, for them to deliver specialized health benefits, it is important to utilize essential oil blends or combinations. These enable different essential oil properties to merge together and produce a more powerful formula. Below are some of the most common essential oil blends known in aromatherapy.
Essential Oil Blends
- Bath Oil
- Insect Repellent
- Massage Oil
- Essential Oil Lotion
- Essential Oil Shampoo
- Essential Oil Perfume
- Essential Oil Blend for Panic Attacks
- Stress Reducing Blend
- Energizing Blend
- Insomnia Blend
Continue reading to find out how to make each of these blends yourself.
1. Bath Oil
To prepare your own bath oil using natural essential oils, you will need a few ingredients. The most ideal type of oil to use is lavender, since it is gentle enough to be applied to your skin. You will need these ingredients.
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- Two ounces of sweet almond oil to dilute the lavender
Avoid using essential oils that have been known to irritate the skin.
Once you have these ingredients, blend them together in one bottle or container. When adding the blend to your bathwater, only use about a quarter of the entire contents of the bottle. Stir the water thoroughly to ensure the oil is well mixed.
2. Insect Repellent
For an effective essential oil insect repellent that is strong enough to protect you but mild enough for sensitive skin, acquire these ingredients.
- 1.5 ounces of distilled water
- 1.5 ounces of high-proof alcohol
- 15 drops of citronella oil
- 10 drops each of eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of lemongrass oil
Place the distilled water and alcohol into a clean spray bottle. Then, add all of the essential oils. Always shake the bottle prior to using to mix up the solution.
3. Massage Oil
When using natural essential oils as massage oil, you need to take into consideration the type of oil you use and what amount. This will ensure your safety and maximize the benefits of the oils. When preparing a homemade essential oil massage blend, add approximately:
- 8-10 drops of your preferred essential oil
- 1 ounce of carrier oil
Blend these ingredients together and transfer the solution into a dark-colored glass bottle for storage. When using this massage oil blend, avoid applying it onto extremely sensitive areas of skin.
4. Essential Oil Lotion
Making your own lotion using essential oils is fairly easy, provided you have all the ingredients in the right quantities. The basic ingredients include:
- 3/4 cup of carrier oil
- 8 ounces of unscented lotion
- 30 drops of your preferred essential oil (suggested oils include patchouli, rose, sandalwood, etc.) or a combination of essential oils
Pour the lotion into a bowl and add the essential oils. Mix thoroughly. After that, add the lotion back to the bottle so you can conveniently use it anytime you want to treat your dry skin.
5. Essential Oil Shampoo
There are several essential oils that naturally contribute to the health of your hair. You can make your own essential oil shampoo blend at home for natural hair care. For this, you will need the following ingredients.
- 7 ounces of unscented shampoo
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 20 drops of patchouli essential oil
- 20 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil
Simply add all the essential oil ingredients into the shampoo and mix thoroughly. You can now use this as you would any regular shampoo.
6. Essential Oil Perfume Blend
Essential oils are naturally fragrant, which is why using them to make perfume blends is a great way to create wonderful scents. It is also a much safer option compared to synthetically produced perfumes, which can cause allergies and other adverse reactions.
To make your blend, use these ingredients.
- 25 drops of sandalwood oil
- 3 drops of either rose, neroli, or jasmine oil
- 1 tablespoon of carrier oil
Mix all of the essential oils together and store them in airtight, dark-colored bottles. To use your homemade essential oil perfume, simply pour a tiny amount onto your pulse points. Since this blend contains a concentration of essential oils, you might want to limit your use of the perfume. Always perform a skin patch test before using.
7. Essential Oil Blend for Panic Attacks
The soothing effect of essential oils can help provide relief during a panic attack. For the oils to be effective, you need to use ones that soothe your nerves. Here are some suggested blends to create an essential oil mixture for treating panic attacks:
- Option 1: Mix three drops of frankincense oil with two drops of helichrysum oil
- Option 2: Mix four drops of lavender oil with one drop of rose oil
- Option 3: Mix four drops of lavender oil with one drop of neroli oil
- Option 4: Mix four drops of frankincense oil with one drop of rose oil
8. Stress Reducing Blend
Coping with stress becomes much easier when you are able to enjoy the nourishing scent of common essential oils. The key is choosing the right kind of essential oils. Here are some possible blends to try:
- Option 1: Mix three drops of clary sage essential oil with one drop of lemon oil and one drop of lavender oil
- Option 2: Mix two drops of lavender and two drops roman chamomile oil with one drop of vetiver oil
- Option 3: Mix three drops of bergamot essential oil with one drop of frankincense and one drop of geranium oil
- Option 4: Mix three drops of grapefruit oil with one drop of ylang-ylang oil and one drop of jasmine oil
9. Energizing Blend
Stress and fatigue are aspects of modern life that are hard to avoid. When you feel worn out, a slight sniff of the right essential oil blend can be enough to stimulate your senses and reenergize your entire body. There are multiple possible combinations that will produce this energizing effect. Here are some them:
- Option 1: Mix two drops of basil oil and two drops of grapefruit oil with a drop of cypress oil
- Option 2: Mix three drops of grapefruit essential oil with two drops of ginger oil
- Option 3: Mix three drops of bergamot essential oil with two drops of rosemary oil
- Option 4: Mix two drops of lemon oil and two drops of peppermint oil with a drop of frankincense oil
10. Insomnia Blend
Do you have trouble sleeping? With a natural combination of various essential oils, this blend will put you to bed and give you a better night's sleep. You will need the following ingredients.
- 10 drops of Roman chamomile oil
- 5 drops bergamot oil
- 5 drops of clary sage oil
Combine all the ingredients together and place them in a dark colored bottle for storage. When it comes time to use this blend, drop one or two drops on your pillow so you can smell the aroma in the night. You can also add a few drops to an essential oil diffuser a few hours prior to bedtime, so your room will be completely filled the soothing essence of the oils when you hit the hay.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Csrmen on October 26, 2018:
So very interesting the magic of oils. So good for you. Wish more people would have the experience.
YourFirstTime on May 26, 2012:
Love your choice of essential oils. Nice blends.
outsource123 on November 30, 2010:
Great lens guys!