How to Make Vapor Rub With Essential Oils
Where to Apply Vapor Rub
During cold and flu season many people want to breathe better. One great natural option is to make an essential oil vapor rub. The mixture below has a concentration of about 2%, which makes it safe to use on children five and older. If you want a more potent vapor rub, you can double the essential oils in the mixture, but do not use it on young children. It is also important to note that peppermint is not safe to be used on pregnant women because it can cause contractions.
This mixture can be rubbed on the neck, chest, or bottoms of the feet. For younger children, it is a good idea to diffuse oils. There is a list of oils below that are known to help one breathe easier.
Ingredients for Vapor Rub
- 1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon bees wax
- 20 drops peppermint essential oils
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oils
- 10 drops lemon or lavender essential oils
Instructions for Vapor Rub
- Mix coconut oil and beeswax in a 125 ml glass mason jar. Melt in the microwave in thirty-second increments, stirring in between until it has completely melted and mix thoroughly.
- Add essential oils, then mix thoroughly.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then stir again. It is important to stir again, as the essential oils will settle to the bottom, and this will make sure that the oils are evenly distributed.
- Place in the refrigerator until the mixture has hardened.
- Remove and store in a cool, dry place and use it as needed. If the mixture melts, be sure to stir again and place it back in the refrigerator.
Essential Oils Good for Colds and Flus
anti-inflammatory and antiseptic
protects against germs
antimicrobial, helps one breathe easier
reduce inflammation, relieve pain, and fight off bacteria
reduces pain and calms
improve cold symptoms
Melaleuca (tea tree)
antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
soothes and numbs scratchy throat, clears airways, and relaxes muscles
breaks up mucus and reduces inflammation
antibacterial and antiviral
Essential oils have many great benefits and can help you in many areas of life. When choosing where to buy your essential oils, you want to make sure that you buy from a reputable source. Since the FDA does not regulate them, they can make claims, so you want to look to see what tests they use to assure quality.
Not only do you want to purchase high-quality oils, but it is important to use responsibly as they are very potent. You should never ingest oils unless directed to do so by a doctor. Oils applied on the skin should be diluted before applied to prevent irritation, and when diffusing, it is a good idea to not diffuse for more than an hour at a time.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2020 Angela Michelle Schultz