I have been using essential oils and aromatherapy to improve my health, immunity, and emotional well-being for years.
What Is Lemongrass Essential Oil?
Lemongrass essential oil is distilled from the woody stalks and leaves of the lemongrass plant. The oil has its origins in Southeast Asia but is now cultivated throughout the world. It is known for its unique citrus-herb scent.
Diffuse to Uplift Mood
With its citrus aroma, lemongrass essential oil is a great choice to diffuse to help uplift your mood and may reduce feelings of sadness, stress and anxiety. It is also a great oil to diffuse to improve focus and keep energized during afternoon slumps. Lemongrass essential oil blends well with other oils that improve the mood, increase focus and energize. Some of my favorite oils to blend with lemongrass are rosemary, lemon, lime, orange, tangerine, peppermint, spearmint, lavender, grapefruit and bergamot. Lemongrass essential oil can be diffused by itself, or blended with any of the oils above. Some of my favorite blends incorporating lemongrass include:
- 4 drops lemongrass, 2 drops rosemary
- 2 drops lemongrass, 2 drops tangerine, 3 drops spearmint
- 3 drops lime, 3 drops tangerine, 2 drops lemongrass, 2 drops peppermint
- 5 drops lemon, 4 drops lemongrass, 2 drops peppermint
Lemongrass naturally eases respiratory discomfort and opens up nasal passages. This oil also blends well with other essential oils that are great at relieving nasal discomfort. Blending 3 drops lemongrass, 3 drops peppermint and 3 drops of lavender is a great diffuser blend for relieving respiratory discomfort, especially discomfort caused by seasonal allergies.
Helps Manage Pain
Lemongrass is a great essential oil for pain relief. It is a very popular essential oil to add to massage oils, homemade sugar scrubs and bath salts because of its natural pain relieving properties. Those that suffer from joint pain, inflammation or arthritis may particularly find relief from pain as lemongrass essential oil is great at relieving joint pain.
- To help ease muscle pain after a long day, add 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil to 2 cups of Epsom salts for a relaxing bath.
- Add 1 drop of lemongrass essential oil to your massage oil to help naturally ease muscle pain and for adding a pleasant aroma.
- You can also add lemongrass essential oil to a homemade roll-on bottle to topically treat pain. For an adult, add 10 drops of lemongrass, 10 drops marjoram and 10 drops of peppermint and top with the carrier oil of your choice (coconut, jojoba, almond, avocado, castor, etc.). For those with sensitive skin, swap out peppermint for spearmint or frankincense.
Lemongrass also has natural antiseptic and tonic properties, making it a useful essential oil to incorporate in skin care routines for acne prone skin. Along with tea tree essential oil, lemongrass can help kill bacteria that causes acne and reduce the appearance of acne blemishes. However, you should be certain that the essential oil you are using has been tested for quality and is free of pesticides and other toxins. I recommend Doterra, Plant Therapy or Rocky Mountain Oils because of the strict standards these companies hold when it comes to quality and safety of their oils.
- The Benefits and Uses of Peppermint Essential Oil: Respiratory Health, Muscle Pain and More
Peppermint essential oil offers many benefits, making it one of the most popular essential oils among aromatherapists. Like lemongrass, peppermint can help with muscle pain, focus and also with respiratory concerns. Read the article to learn more.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.