Health Benefits of Triphala Churna, Ingredients, and How to Use it
What Is Triphala Churna?
Triphala is probably the most popular remedy used in the Indian traditional medicine system of ayurveda. In ayurveda, it is believed that the right use of Triphala churna can cure all diseases, including diabetes, hypertension, and even cancer.
The word triphala is formed by combining two Sanskrit words. Tri means three and phala means fruits. When you combine the two words, you get three fruits and this is what triphala powder is.
It is a combination of the three best known fruits for health. These three fruits and their individual benefits are discussed below.The Sanskrit word churna stands for powder.
The three fruits present are:
- Amla or the Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki or the Chebulic Myrobalans (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica)
These three fruits are dried and reduced to powder form and used for various health benefits. All these three plants are known to have medicinal value and are used separately for various health and beauty issues. However, when combined together, these three form the most potent medicine that can provide benefits ranging from stimulating digestive health to delaying the aging process.
This potent medicine is often used by people in India as a laxative. It stimulates the digestive system and is a mild bowel cleanser. While you can use it as a gentle laxative once in a while, you may also consider using it as a detoxifying agent on a regular basis. Its mild nature makes it quite safe to use on a daily basis without any side-effects.
Let's take a look at the three fruits separately to get a more detailed idea of the health benefits of triphala churna.
Also known as Indian gooseberry, Amla or Amlaki is the first ingredient of this healthy detoxifier.
Here are some benefits of amla:
- It is rich in vitamin C. About 100 grams of amla contains 700 mg of vitamin C
- A powerful immune-booster and a wonderful antioxidant fruit
- Improves the absorption of food by improving your digestion
- Its rich vitamin C content enhances the absorption of iron into your blood and this is why is excellent for those with anemia
- It strengthens and stimulates the liver and gall bladder, thus, detoxifying your body
- Amla strengthens and purifies your reproductive health and is considered to be excellent at regulating menstrual cycles
- It purifies your urinary system
- Clears mucus from your lungs and respiratory tract
- Supports the cardiovascular system
- Improves the functioning of your brain
- Since it improves the absorption of various minerals, it will give you beautiful skin and hair and healthy nails and teeth
- It is also beneficial for the eyes and will prevent them from various diseases
Here are the benefits of the second ingredient of triphala known as haritaki or harad:
- Excellent for the eyes and is believed to prevent diseases such as cataract and glaucoma
- Promotes healing and this is why it can heal a wound or ulcer
- Good for any type of skin disease
- Good for the spleen and liver
- Enhances mental clarity and memory
- Has anti-aging qualities
- Boosts the immune system
The third ingredient of triphala churna is vibhitaki. Here are the benefits of this herb known as baheda in Hindi:
- Excellent blood purifier
- Removes excess fat from the body along with harmful toxins
- Improves eyesight
- Strengthens the roots of the hair, prevents hair thinning and premature graying of hair
- Possesses antiviral and antibacterial qualities
Health Benefits of These Fruits
As you can see, the three ingredients when combined together form a potent medicine that can provide you with excellent health benefits along with protection from various diseases. Triphala churna usually contains four parts of amla, two parts of Bibhitaki, and one part of Haritaki. However, this ratio can vary depending on the product and the needs of the individual.
Regular intake of this ayurvedic product cleanses your colon. This ratio of the three ingredients is believed to make it an excellent weight loss product. Triphala churna is good for the lungs and this is why it reduces the symptoms of asthma.
Its anti-inflammatory and healing properties are quite useful in treating chronic ulcers and inflammatory conditions such as arthritis. The immune-boosting properties of triphala powder offer protection against infectious diseases.
The antioxidant properties of this wonderful herb combination prevent aging and offer protection against various diseases including cancer.
Don't forget that it is excellent for your eyes. Its detoxifying properties will give you healthy and glowing skin and shiny and beautiful hair as well.
Have you heard about Triphala?
How to Use
You can take triphala in powder form. However, it does have a strong taste and some people may find it hard to gulp it down. You may want it to combine it with a little bit of juice or honey if you think that you can just not handle its taste. Furthermore, triphala is also available in capsule form these days. You can give these a try as well.
Generally, the recommended dosage for triphala is one teaspoon or one capsule taken with lukewarm water before going to bed. Make sure to keep a gap of about 2 hours after dinner.
This is a safe dose to take with no side-effects. If you plan to use triphala churna for managing diseases such as asthma or high blood pressure, you may want to do so under the guidance of qualified ayurvedic practitioner.
You can also make a tea with the powder. Just add about half to one teaspoon of the powder in a cup of hot water and drink it. Again, if you don't like the taste, add a little bit of honey to the concoction.
You can also use Triphala as eyewash. Just put 1-2 teaspoons of the powder in a cup of lukewarm water. Allow it to stay overnight. In the morning, strain the liquid and splash it on your eyes.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2013 BetterAlive