Linda (Kaywood) Bilyeu is a published author. Follow her "Single Life" series for dating advice.
What Is Happiness?
Happiness is a state of mental or emotional well-being. Being happy is characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from being content to elation.
Happiness comes from within. You need to feel the emotion. You need to recognize the elation. If you aren't happy then how could you radiate the glee to spread around to thee?
How many reasons could you list that make you happy? You will be surprised at how many things make you giddy with joy.
Feel free to share some of your reasons for happiness in the comment section below. You just never know who you might inspire.
Keep on shining!
Bring on the Happy
- An unexpected email, letter or text that contains good news.
- Sipping tea on a porch while listening to the birds chirp.
- A radiant rainbow that extends across the sky. A double rainbow would be twice as nice.
- Hearing the word "negative" from your physician.
- Winning anything.
- Not worrying about what's going to happen.
- Omitting "what if" from your vocabulary.
- Realizing that you, and only you, could put the "happy" in "happiness" and spread the cheer.
- A brand new box of Crayola crayons with the built-in sharpener.
- Thunderstorms and the calm air afterwards.
- Having a clear conscience and feeling no guilt.
- A visit from a friend and sharing laughs until it hurts.
- Warm, cozy bed with lots of fluffy pillows.
- Being able to write and share with others about whatever touches your heart.
- Watching an old favorite movie and appreciating how much the world has changed.
- Having a gut feeling that works to your benefit.
- Completing a project and admiring your creativity.
- When your favorite song comes on the radio at the same time that it enters your thoughts.
- Home sweet home.
- Blowing out birthday candles and then eating cake instead of setting the cake on fire.
- Having an umbrella handy when it begins to rain. If not, dancing in the rain will be just fine.
- Hiking in the woods and discovering a different path.
- Cheering on children at a sporting event.
- Becoming a parent.
- Becoming a grandparent.
There Are More Reasons to Be Happy
26. A new tech toy and discovering entertaining apps to use.
27. Unwrapping gifts that are covered with festive paper and bows.
28. A good night's sleep and having sweet dreams.
29. Simply waking up in the morning and being able to touch the floor. And your toes!
30. Facetime or Skype chats with friends or family.
31. Looking in the mirror and liking who you are.
32. Donating to a worthy charity.
Read More From Remedygrove
33. Volunteer work, if even for a few hours a week.
34. A clean house and you didn't have to lift a finger.
35. Family and making memories.
36. Friends who have your back.
37. Good health and a good workout.
38. Having a positive attitude and surrounding yourself with people who think like you.
39. The last slice of pie that you forgot you had.
40. Saving money for a rainy day.
41. The purr of a kitten.
42. Hearing words of appreciation.
43. Saying words of appreciation.
44. Jumping in a pool and not losing your swimsuit.
45. Marrying your prince.
46. Marrying your princess.
47. Favorite sports team winning.
48. Carnival rides that make you dizzy but don't make you barf.
49. Church services that make you smile.
50. Breakfast in bed served by someone who loves you.
Spread the Happy
51. Have a party. There doesn't need to be a reason. Just celebrate being happy.
52. Marking a milestone such as an anniversary or graduation.
53. No zits for a special event or any event.
54. Quitting or not starting a bad habit.
55. Coming out of the closet and freeing your soul.
56. Being "true to you" and never being a fake.
57. Rays of sunshine that illuminate your aura.
58. Music of all types that touch your inner soul.
59. Cartoons and comic strips and laughing until your face hurts.
60. Being of reasonable mind and of having a sane brain.
61. Pennies from heaven that are found when you least expect them.
62. Photos, letters and random memories from the past.
63. Karma is always on alert, your back is protected.
64. Health physicals with outstanding results.
65. An empty parking space at a crowded mall.
66. Sunrises, sunsets, whether you are solo or part of a duo, relish the moment.
67. Rereading a favorite book and not remembering how it ended.
68. Things that turn out best for people with only good intentions.
69. Contributing something unique to the world (such as this list).
70. Refusing to grow up no matter how old you are.
71. All green lights while driving down the road.
72. Concerts that make your voice hoarse from singing along with the band.
73. Museums that make us appreciate history.
74. Swapping stories with a new friend and learning something new about yourself through them.
75. Rekindling a romance that you thought had fizzled.
The Happy List Is Neverending
76. Ice cold water on a hot and humid day.
77. Making silly faces while taking selfies.
78. A Happy Meal from McDonalds and getting the toy you had hoped for.
79. Praise and a raise from a boss.
80. Disneyworld—the happiest place on earth.
81. Winning an eBay auction.
82. Watching a caterpillar transform into a butterfly.
83. Being retweeted on Twitter, whether from a celebrity or your BFF.
84. The simple things in life that make us appreciate all that we have.
85. Lots of hugs and bedtime stories.
86. Pleasant dreams and the bugs that don't bite.
87. The companionship of a furry or non-furry pet.
88. Going viral with an article or video.
89. Chocolate anything...Dark, milk, white...cold, melted, warm...don't matter, it's chocolate.
90. Opening a pack of baseball cards and discovering the rookie card you needed to complete a set is there.
91. Complimentary wine and cheese.
92. Free stuff, with no gimmick attached.
93. The cheering roar of a crowd.
94. Getting your point across and no need for an "agree to disagree" unless absolutely needed.
95. Being on time for an appointment.
96. Counting your blessings.
97. Never putting off until tomorrow what you could do today.
98. The drive home from work.
99. A fireworks display of brilliant colors and loud booms.
100. Holidays and family togetherness.
101. Making someone else happy.
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu
Nidhi Thomas on April 06, 2020:
I am a young girl going through a phase. After reading this and listening to the songs I can appreciate life the way it is.
The little things in life is what matters. Live life to the fullest. Live life one day at a time. Take things as they come, and enjoy life.
Dianna Mendez on June 30, 2016:
I think #15 stands out the most for me today. I was just watching an old movie and remarked on how the graphic quality has changed through the years. Still, the old favorites have much charm and excellent plots.
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on June 25, 2016:
Came back to read your excellent suggestions about how to be happy and to wish you a Very Happy Birthday!
Melody Lassalle from California on December 19, 2014:
This is a wonderful list. You've provided so many examples of things to be happy and thankful for. Sometimes they are right there in front of us, but we don't see them.
Chris Mills from Traverse City, MI on October 30, 2014:
This is a wonderful article that can help us to be a little more purposeful about being happy as we walk the road of life.
Cynthia B Turner from Georgia on June 22, 2014:
It's fun to see what makes other people happy. Some of them are universal and some are unique to the person. Thanks for sharing yours. And the Happy song... well, that makes a lot of people happy! I had to include it in my article about happiness, as well. There are a few interesting and cute Youtube renditions of the Happy song videos that are sure to get a smile.
Nithya Venkat from Dubai on June 22, 2014:
Great reasons to be happy!! Once again I have to say that I enjoy reading your hubs, a ray of sunshine to brighten the day!! Great hub, voted up.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on June 05, 2014:
I'm glad I was able to help save you some time Bob!
BOb on July 29, 2013:
A minute saved is a minute eardne, and this saved hours!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on June 27, 2013:
Thanks Healthyfitness! :)
Rick Grimes on February 19, 2013:
Hahaha this list is great! Being retweeted on twitter! I giggled at that one because its so true.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on February 16, 2013:
Thank you 101 times Web! :)
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on February 16, 2013:
Hi Michelle, Yes it's all about the little things in life.
Bill Blackburn from Twentynine Palms, California on January 28, 2013:
Hi Sunshine! I'm not sure if I can count as high as 101, never-mind think of that many happy thoughts, nevertheless it was a most enjoyable read, and it's got me thinking about what makes me happy! Thank you Sunshine in 101 ways!
Michelle Liew from Singapore on January 27, 2013:
I love that the little things in life make us happy, Linda! True indeed! I am sharing this!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on November 09, 2012:
Excellent addition Deb! I hope you have an awesome weekend! :)
Deborah Neyens from Iowa on November 04, 2012:
What a great reminder to look for the little things in life that make you happy. Here's one from this morning: snuggling in bed with my dog and cats with a cup of coffee and a good book on a rainy Sunday morning.
Matthew Kirk on November 01, 2012:
What use is this hub to anyone? None at all... the most non specific thing I have ever seen or heard of and completely without function.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on October 16, 2012:
Martie ~ Cogerson ~ Mike Robbers ~ Ryem ~ Happyboomernurse ~ bdegiulio ~ Stephanie Henkel
Thank you all for your comments and sharing what makes you happy!
Gail Sobotkin from South Carolina on October 05, 2012:
Just reading this made me feel happy and the animal video made me chuckle.
Voted up across the board and shared with followers and on Pinterest.
Ryem from Maryland on October 05, 2012:
This s a really good list. Thinking positive and giving away positive energy always make a happier person.
Mike Robbers from London on October 05, 2012:
So fortunate that I came across this article. It definitely cheered me and made me realize that there are so many things to feel happy about!! Life is Good :)
Stephanie Henkel from USA on October 05, 2012:
If happiness is making someone else smile, then I see why you are happy! You spread your sunshine far and wide! :)
Bill De Giulio from Massachusetts on October 05, 2012:
Great way to start the day. The photos had me smiling from ear to ear. Great job.
UltimateMovieRankings from Virginia on September 24, 2012:
I think though I am not sure....that maybe just maybe I have found a hub that I have not read before that was written by that lady down in Orlando. I enjoyed the 101 reasons to be happy....being happy and staying positive is what I try to be all about. So looking through your list I would say I agree with almost all of the items....but ones that really stick out would include....63 Karma is huge....90 Baseball cards are awesome....just opened a pack yesterday as matter of fact....13 especially if you are by somebody you love. Voted up and interesting....like the Happy Lane street sign.
Martie Coetser from South Africa on September 19, 2012:
Sunshine, I am no adding a link to these brilliant 101 reasons to be happy to my hub 'Perceptives - Happiness is a Mind over Matter.'
Thank you, Linda! This is GrEaT, relevant and profound!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on September 19, 2012:
Hi Suzie, Great minds think alike! :)
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on September 19, 2012:
I happily agree Audrey!!!
Suzanne Ridgeway from Dublin, Ireland on September 15, 2012:
WOW, What an excellent list, all so true.It makes you wonder why you would not be happy when even the simple pleasures of life offer it in abundance!! Awesome hub and love your layout and detail overall! Voted up, everything and sharing !!!
Audrey Howitt from California on September 14, 2012:
What a great list this is--and yes, happiness breeds more happiness!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on September 06, 2012:
Thank you Faith Reaper and skye2day for your comments! :)
skye2day from Rocky Mountains on September 06, 2012:
sunshine Beautiful reasons to be happy. When I get the blues I often write what I have to be grateful for and that puts me right back to humility. If allot more made more lists like this I believe we would be a bit more grateful for the gifts the Lord has so graciously bestowed upon us and our nation. My top reason f0r happy would be I have eternal life with Jesus to look forward to!!! There will be no pain or suffering. God Bless u girl. Thank you for the awesome list. Love it.
Faith Reaper from southern USA on September 06, 2012:
Awesome list! No reason to not be happy, and it is a choice. Excellent hub. In His Love, Faith Reaper
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on August 28, 2012:
pinxinsales004 ~ TIMETRAVELER2 ~ Jools99 ... Thank you for stopping by and bringing on the "Happy!"
Jools Hogg from North-East UK on August 18, 2012:
A revisit of this hub for me today - been indoors all week with a recovering child and I think we might both get out to see some sunshine today - always a reason to be happy :o) and for a change, the sun is shining!
Sondra Rochelle from USA on August 17, 2012:
Reading your happy thoughts made me happy. Thanks!
pinxinsales004 on August 13, 2012:
It hard to be happy in China, when your not a......
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on August 12, 2012:
Thank you Molometer and Ahorseback for your comments. I appreciate you both sharing you thoughts on happiness :)
ahorseback on August 12, 2012:
Sunshine , to be honest with you , I believe that women hold the key to happiness and laughter ,I carry on with life a little too close to the edge of being too serious , yet almost all the women I know are easy to make laugh or smile , hold special powers of spiritual connections and seem to be the best at creating smiles socially! God bless you ! And all the women who spread smiles !
Micheal from United Kingdom on August 12, 2012:
Great list of 101 reasons to be happy. I agree with a few others here.
I like number 29 simply waking up in the morning. Every thing else after that is a bonus. Tweeting and sharing.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on July 20, 2012:
Thank you Vickie :)
Victoria Lynn from Arkansas, USA on July 20, 2012:
Fun hub! I needed a reminder of the good things. Thanks! Voted up and all the way across!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on June 28, 2012:
Hi Julie, My mission was accomplished!:)
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on June 28, 2012:
Hi Stephanie...I read your comment a few days after my birthday, but I totally enjoyed it and I thank you for your wishes and wishes!:)
Jools Hogg from North-East UK on June 24, 2012:
Sunshine, I felt happier after reading this list! I need to keep reminding myself that happiness sometimes comes in the small stuff :o)
Stephanie Henkel from USA on June 24, 2012:
I chose this hub to share because it seems to express so well your beautiful smile and wonderful outlook on life! One more reason to be happy - it's your birthday and all of HubLand loves you! :)
Happy Birthday, Linda! Hugs!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 21, 2012:
Thank you Sue for your comment!:)
Hi Jaswinder! Your comment and votes are appreciated.
jaswinder64 from Toronto, Canada. on April 21, 2012:
Thanks for following me, this is a great encouragement, when somebody follow me. This is your wonderful article. Voted Up!
Sue Parkinson on April 18, 2012:
LOVE it Sunshine..every point/reason is fantastic!!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 18, 2012:
Hi Pinto, I believe the best gifts come in small packages...this might be because I'm a petite person:))
Subhas from New Delhi, India on April 12, 2012:
Great Ideas Comes in Small packages and even if we follow a few from the list that will prove this proverb.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 11, 2012:
Thank you Dancilla. I'm happy you stopped by:)
Priscilla from El Paso on April 09, 2012:
This is a great hub, I really liked it very much. It made me happy just being able to read it. Thank you for a wonderful hub. Voted up!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 08, 2012:
Movie Master, Sunbun143, Millionaire Tips, MartieCoester, Acaetnna ... Thank you all for stoppping by and sharing in the reasons to be happy!:)
acaetnna from Guildford on April 08, 2012:
There are so many reasons to be happy but why is it so many people focus on the negative? Let us try smiling, it really is contagious. A great hub and I am so pleased that I found you.
Martie Coetser from South Africa on April 08, 2012:
Linda, this is really an awesome list. One tends to take many of these for granted. This one goes straight to my TimeLine....
Shasta Matova from USA on April 07, 2012:
There are so many reasons to be happy, and you're provided such a great list. We definitely need to look at the bright side. I was looking at the bright moon last night and it made me smile. And the children getting ready for the Easter egg hunt this morning.
sunbun143 from Los Angeles, CA on April 06, 2012:
Wonderful! On my personal list: getting a cranky baby/toddler to finally nap, and waking up with them and seeing that look on their face that epitomizes LOVE and says "happy to see you, mama!" And when they get the giggles :)
Movie Master from United Kingdom on April 04, 2012:
A brilliant list and I love number 39!
A wonderful happy sunshine hub thank you!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 04, 2012:
tillsontitan, billybuc, Anamika, skye2day
Thank you all for your comments, tweets, hugs and thoughts!:)
skye2day from Rocky Mountains on April 03, 2012:
sunshine625 Love It!! If all of us could count our Blessings each day 100 of them I believe the world would be a happier place. Focus on things that are lovely, pure, beautiful and true. Keep your eyes on things above. Jesus!
Thank you for a precious read. Up awesome! Sending a hug.
Anamika S Jain from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on April 03, 2012:
Wonderful List Linda! Majority of that would make me happy as well. Voted up and tweeted.
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on April 03, 2012:
I consider myself a very happy person and I'm not sure I could have come up with this many reasons...great list, great hub!
Mary Craig from New York on April 03, 2012:
And so your sun continue to shine! You continue 101...making someone else happy...everyone who reads this hub leaves with a smile on their face. Great idea and great ideas within. Voted up.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 03, 2012:
Your comments continue to enhance the happiness within this hub. I appreciate your happy thoughts!:))
extended-stay from Norfolk, Virginia on April 03, 2012:
Indeed, happiness is a choice. As long as we know the reasons to be happy, we will always be happy and as long as we desire to be one :)) Life becomes extra amazing when we are happy! :)
Oyewole Folarin from Lagos on April 02, 2012:
I so much like #71 'all green light while driving'. Really, it makes me happy since i always like free flow of traffic.
Christy Birmingham from British Columbia, Canada on April 02, 2012:
Family, friends, and good health are wonderful reasons to be happy! I really am happy to read this hub Sunshine! Keep smiling :)
SusieQ42 on April 02, 2012:
Great idea for a hub, Sunshine. I just thought of #101. Having a name like Sunshine!
Carolee Samuda from Jamaica on April 02, 2012:
102: Getting paid from Hubpages!
103: A kiss from my fiance
104: Eating chocolate icecream with mini chocolate bars and whole almonds in it! (we had an entire quart yesterday and don't feel any guilt at all!) This is one ice-cream we both love to death...lol
I had to put those in Linda...lol
You have a great list of things to be happy about, how can we not appreciate these things?
Rachel McVearry from DC Metro on April 02, 2012:
Fantastic idea for a hub. I had someone actually tell me yesterday that my optimism is annoying. I think that just means they have a long way to go before finding their inner joy. I guess that's annoying, too :} It's nice to see hubs like this that remind me of others who are focusing on the up side.
Vinaya Ghimire from Nepal on April 02, 2012:
Life brims with pleasantries. Little things bring joys in our life, only that we have to have eye to appreciate the gift of life.
Your points are wonderful. I'm always amazed by your positivity.
John Sarkis from Winter Haven, FL on April 02, 2012:
What a wondeful hub Sunshine - never thought of the word "negative" in this context before, but you're quite right!
Voted up and interesting
SanneL from Sweden on April 02, 2012:
What a happy and positive tribute to life!! I love all these reasons you have put together. However, I would personally add my darling dog, that brings so much happiness to me. Furthermore, I would also add "Sunshine" to this list, since seeing your beautiful smile, always makes me happy.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 02, 2012:
Thank you all for your stopping by and sharing the happiness!:)
Poetic Fool on April 01, 2012:
Linda, what a great reminder that we don't have to look very far to find reasons to be happy! Thanks for another wonderful hub.
Madeleine Salin from Finland on April 01, 2012:
There are so many things to be happy about. This hub makes me think how great life is. And you gave me ideas to write 101 hubs - one hub for each thing. That would take forever. :)
BERNARD LEVINE from RUIMSIG, SOUTH AFRICA on April 01, 2012:
THANK YOU JESUS By BERNARD LEVINE
There's no other friend
so true and so faithful
There's no other love
so precious, so dear
There's no other joy
so rich and fulfilling
There's no other grace
so kind and so rare
There's no other one
who has done
more for the world
© Bernard Levine
Janet Brown on April 01, 2012:
In light of the the fact that this is Palm Sunday and next weekend is Easter Sunday, I can say that the most wonderful thing that I am thankful for is that God sent his Son, Jesus, to die for my sins and the sins of the world. All we have to do is accept his loving sacrifice, ask for His forgiveness, and turn our lives around from living for ourselves to living for Him. I find that when I truly do that (which is hard, because we can be very selfish people) I am blessed beyond measure. Thank you Jesus for loving us!!
kallini2010 from Toronto, Canada on April 01, 2012:
I would put "overcoming addiction to HP and getting on with one's life".
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on April 01, 2012:
A great way to end a rather stressful weekend. I especially appreciate the videos. Voting this Up and Beautiful.
drbj and sherry from south Florida on April 01, 2012:
101 fantastic reasons to be happy, Linda, and these are my faves:. Hearing the word "negative" from your physician / Winning anything! / Becoming a parent and becoming a grandparent / family and friends / Simply waking up in the morning! / Chocolate anything! / Good health and Positive attitude.
One more, almost forgot: Karma is always on alert. Did you see my 'Interview with Karma'? I cited you in the second paragraph since you and sweetsusie gave me the idea for the topic in your comments on one of her hubs.
Sheila Brown from Southern Oklahoma on April 01, 2012:
Wonderful hub! We have so many things to be thankful for! We should appreciate these happy things every day! voted up, awesome and sharing! Have a HAPPY HAPPY day! :)
Audrey Howitt from California on April 01, 2012:
Just an excellent hub! I loved the one about sipping tea and listening to the birds!
Nell Rose from England on April 01, 2012:
Hi, what a fantastic list! number 44 made me smile, it happened to me! lol! I would like to add, standing on my balcony watching the Kites birds of prey fly above my head, wonderful! voted all the way!
Suzie from Carson City on April 01, 2012:
Sunshine.....This took some thought to compile and it's wonderful. There are things you mentioned that I've forgotten make me happy! I think I might add, "a pedicure" and "winning the Lottery." Up +++++
BERNARD LEVINE from RUIMSIG, SOUTH AFRICA on March 31, 2012:
GOD IS SO AMAZING By BERNARD LEVINE
Every petal's fragrance is the beauty of God's love
Every life is the breath of God's tenderness
Every seed is the miracle of God's grace
Every day is a gift of God's kindness
Every blade of grass is a wonder of God's hands
Every drop of water is a blessing from God's heart
Every grain of sand is a marvel of God's genius
Everywhere nature sings praises to God's glory
Take time each day to thank God
for even the smallest things
He has given you
and you will find true joy.
© Bernard Levine
Rika Susan from South Africa on March 31, 2012:
Truly a happy-making list, Linda! On my list I would add the wild Cape Francolin and little wagtails that trust me enough to come and feed from my hand. Also, knowing that I have people around me who love me unconditionally. And, reading a hub written by Sunshine!!!
Stokermm from Gainesville, FL on March 31, 2012:
Awesome!! 101 wonderful things!!!! I like #82 ;)
Mark Bruno from New Jersey Shore on March 31, 2012:
Excellent hub and well written. I don't think you missed one thing. Every point was right one. Thanks for sharing with all of us :)
Voted Up, Useful and Interesting !!