Journey to Journaling
Journaling is a great way to pour out your hidden thoughts and unspoken feelings. It can greatly help you take your mind off unnecessary things that you tend to worry/stress about.
Many doctors recommend using this very method to keep our life healthy and happy. Just a few minutes of journaling in the morning or night can help a great deal in making you less anxious and more optimistic about yourself and your life.
Let me share a few tips that will help you get started right away!
1. Do not write in your laptop or phone. Many people make this tiny mistake of installing journaling apps on their phones and using that to jot down their thoughts. However, the truth is, it's not effective. You need to use a pen and a paper because that way, while you take your time and focus to write, your heart and mind are in constant rhythm and it will be much easier for you to actually write the things you need to let out. Phones are very distracting and that's why I don't recommend that to anyone.
2. Be consistent. Write every day. Even if you feel like giving up or even if you think you have no thoughts, just pick up that pen and start writing. You'll be surprised to know how much your mind wanted to release its frustration and how many pages you've already written!
Journaling is like whispering to one's self and listening at the same time.— Mina Murray, Dracula
3. Make it a habit. Make it a habit of either writing in your journal the first thing in the morning, or the last thing you do before you sleep.
4. Being busy isn't an excuse. I know, you're a busy bee and you don't have much time to journal, but being busy is not an excuse you can give me, sweet pea. I want you to carry a small journal (don't forget the pen) wherever you go and write when you have a break or are just enjoying your view from your car/bus/train. Even if you don't have anything to write, just write.
5. Write. Don't stop. Don't stop your pen from moving. Just let those thoughts flow freely. Don't hold back. Don't stop your heart from feeling worse or your mind from feeling scared. That's the best part of freestyle journaling. You can cry, you can laugh, but you can't stop.
Journal writing is a voyage to the interior.— Christina Baldwin
6. Keep it a secret. Your journal is your gold. However, if you want and if you think you should read your thoughts to your favorite/important person, then you should. Don't hold back. If you want to let them know what you're truly feeling, then share your gold with them.
7. Write it all down. Write about the things that you're going through—family problems, financial problems, broken relationships, work hardships, etc. That's what journaling is all about—to shout at yourself for thinking too much into these things. To motivate yourself so that you can do better!
8. Be sure to also write the things you're grateful for. This way, you will realize how gifted you are for the things you already have rather than feeling despondent over things you can't or are unable to get.
9. Set a reminder. If you feel that you keep forgetting to journal, set a reminder on your phone so that you can build up to your habit.
10. Look for journal prompts. Stuck on a blank page? Try searching for Journal Prompts that will undoubtedly spark your creativity! A little push is all you need to get those pages filled with watercolors, paints and your feelings.
11. Write your goals. Having some kind of a goal in your life will help you live a better, happier and more positive life. You'll soon understand that goals are what keeps us breathing. Goals give us the energy we need to start our morning and to sleep peacefully knowing that we have something to wake up for.
So, what's your goal?
Journaling benefits your mind in various ways you didn't even have the idea of.
- Healing of the heart, mind and soul
- Organized thoughts
To have an healthy mind, all you gotta do is start writing! Isn't that great and easy?
Keeping a journal of what's going on in your life is a good way to help you distill what's important and what's not.— Martina Navratilova
I hope these tips were helpful and I really hope you guys will start your journey of journaling because trust me, it's really helpful. It will heal you, it will give you a peace of mind, and it will make you smile.
What are you waiting for? Now that you've read this article, go and start writing!
I'm the Writer Next Door!
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Aaliyah S