Advantages of Thinking Positively and Letting Go of Negativity
8 Tips for Focusing on the Positive Side of Things
- Understanding the source of your fears is an essential step in overcoming anxieties. The best way to let go of the past and negative baggage that you are carrying within you is to rationalize it. Look at what caused it.
- Accept that all the past failures did not happen in vain. With the sadness and fear that failure created in your life, it also gave you new wisdom on how things work and, in many cases, of what does not work.
- All mistakes can be viewed as learning opportunities of some sort. And the positive thing is that you would have never learned those lessons if you did not make mistakes or fail.
- Every time you face a conflict, a lot of stress is created, and that's bad, right? However, stress can also push you to do your best and be more efficient. Periods in which you have to fight for something, are usually those in which you have the best growth opportunities.
- It would be nice if everybody liked you. But the reality is that there will always be someone that does not like you, as there will always be someone trying to boycott what you are trying to achieve. Back-stabbers and haters are very painful to face and fight, but looking back they all teach something, they can be viewed as your teachers.
- Many times when a situation ends drastically and badly, we feel like a failure, but each undesired ending opens the door to several potential very desirable beginnings. Keep your head up and be open to opportunities, they come when you less expect them, often disguised as something you had never considered doing.
- If you keep calm and serene on the inside, you’ll see how the world will appear calm and serene on the outside.
- When you are calm, you make better choices, which will lead you to meet better people, and recognize some great opportunities.
Control Your Thoughts, Control Your Life
You attract in your life whatever you think about.
Negative thoughts are like poison. Entertaining with negative thoughts gives them power. Giving power to negative thinking will attract exactly those things that you fear into your life.
The recipe for happiness and success is to think only positive thoughts. Or try to, anyway.
Your thoughts are so powerful that by gaining control over them, you can control the direction of your life and make great opportunities come to you.
Every time you worry about something you don’t want to happen, or every time you mistrust the favorable circumstances in your life, you visualize and empower exactly the things that you don’t want.
Train yourself in recognizing when your mind is drifting towards worrisome and depressing thoughts. Make the choice to switch gears and focus on something good instead.
The Power of Feeling Thankful
It is difficult to switch off negative thoughts. When something bad happens it often feels like the end of the world. How do I keep positive when facing harsh difficulties or serious illness?
One powerful way to stay positive and halt negativity is to fill our being with thankfulness.
Thankfulness is very similar to love, it fills you of positive feelings and can be a big help to switch from negative to positive thoughts. The instant we feel thankful for something, there is no space for negativity.
What Can I Be Thankful For?
Sometimes life is so hard on you that it's truly difficult to find those positive thoughts and things to be thankful for.
There are always many, just start by thinking of small, everyday things, and go from there.
We all have many things to be thankful for, no matter our general condition.
Think about all the things that you enjoy every day and possibly take for granted: From the simplest to the biggest blessings in your life such as waking up, breathing, walking, having a home, having loving family and friends, and good health, food on your table, money for the necessities, your intelligence, your sense of humor…you can keep adding anything that applies to you.
Some mornings I wake up worried about something, and before I allow myself to get out of bed and start my day, I choose to list in my head the things I’m thankful for.
Still lying in bed, I go through a mental list of the blessings I have in my life, and only when I’m feeling better about myself and my life I get out up and start the day.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.— Marcus Aurelius
The Law of Attraction of Positive Thoughts
There are lots of writings and talks about the power of positive thinking and how happy thoughts attract good things in our lives. One main belief on how that happens is the powerful Law of Attraction.
The Law of Attraction in a nutshell says that our thoughts project energy into the universe and determine the kind of response we get, as far as what is going to happen in our lives.
Learn to Be Less Judgmental About Yourself
Most of the time you are your own worse critic; you see all of your flaws and weaknesses, often overestimating other people's capabilities, all the while feeling that you are their inferior.
Learning to be less disapproving of yourself and less hypercritical of your limitations is an indispensable path to serenity and happiness.
Look at your fear, pain, rage, conflicts, and disappointment with tolerance and understanding.
Nobody is perfect; we are all bound to make mistakes, some more than others. But even if you find yourself making mistakes more than you’d like, don’t fall in the trap of feeling weak or wrong. Instead of condemning yourself, accept your errors and use the experience to make yourself a better person.
Focus on seeing the good, and to do this you have to see past the bad, don’t get stuck on what is going wrong.
Dismiss all thoughts of not being worthy, or not having some skills: practice self-compassion.
Self-judgment has deep roots, and is hard to eradicate. Switching from being a harsh judge to being compassionate and accepting of who you are is not easy.
Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has to face difficult challenges. Even those that appear confident and smart have fears and make mistakes.
When you are facing a difficult situation, think that others went through the same thing and had to face the same challenge. They may be the very ones that you overestimate and judge better skilled than you, but you don't know the insecurities and fears they had t overcome to appear that way.
When something really bad happens, it might help if you consider that you are not the only one to experience major disappointment and pain. Humans have dealt with it for thousands of years, we are built resilient, we can overcome all kind of things.
Focus on calming down and getting the best out of a crappy situation.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Robie Benve