Healing Agents Listed in the Bible
Many individuals think only about swallowing a pill or potion when they suffer headaches, indigestion, foot ache or any other form of discomfort. Dr. Deepak Chopra, alternative medicine advocate, does not recommend that approach. “This is not to say that pharmaceutical and surgical interventions are not warranted,” he explains, “but looking to them to solve all our illnesses has made us as a society to overlook the powerful self-healing mechanisms within us.”
Negativity and worry feed ill-health, even after we take the medication; so the pharmaceuticals, beneficial as they are, need our help. The doctor's list of self-healing mechanisms includes positivity and spirituality; and John Weiss, states on The Positive Psychology Blog that the benefits of positive thinking can result in "a decline in high blood pressure, weight, stress levels and other negative symptoms."
Following are some Bible quotes from the New Living Translation which propose physical and emotional healing with other than pharmaceutical agents. These healing aids contribute to our well-being whether we give or receive them.
1. A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health. (Proverbs 15:30)
2. Jesus turned around, and when he saw her [the sick woman] he said, “Daughter, be encouraged! Your faith has made you well.” And the woman was healed at that moment. (Matthew 9: 21,22)
3. Fear the Lord and turn away from evil. Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones. (Proverbs 3: 7, 8)
4. A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body. ((Proverbs 14:30)
5. He [Moses] said, “If you will listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his sight, obeying his commands and keeping all his decrees, then I will not make you suffer any of the diseases . . . for I am the Lord who heals you.” (Exodus 15:26
6. Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing. Proverbs 12:18
7. Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you. Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people. Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help. “Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal.” (Isaiah 58: 7, 8)
8. Kind words are like honey—sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. (Proverbs 16:24)
9. Four men arrived carrying a paralyzed man on a mat. They couldn’t bring him to Jesus because of the crowd, so they dug a hole through the roof above his head. Then they lowered the man on his mat, right down in front of Jesus. . . Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said, “Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home!”
And the man jumped up, grabbed his mat, and walked out through the stunned onlookers. (Mark 2: 3, 4, 10-12)
10. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. (James 5:16)
NOTE: "This passage of Scripture . . . affords no foundation for the Popish practice of auricular confession to a priest." (Benson Commentary) It counsels believers to confess their "faults" (King James Version) to each other so that they could pray about specific weaknesses.
11. Your eye is like a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is filled with light. (Matthew 6:22)
NOTE: "Conscience is the eye of the soul." (W.F. Adeney, The Expositor's Bible). A healthy conscience impacts our spiritual and moral health and our entire being.
12. Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You restore my health and allow me to live! (Isaiah 38:16)
13. Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. (James 5: 14)
14. O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you restored my health. (Psalm 30:2)
15. “My wayward children,” says the Lord, “come back to me, and I will heal your wayward hearts.” (Jeremiah 3:22)
Healing Agents Poll
Have you ever credited a self-healing mechanism or process for your healing?
This content is for informational purposes only and does not substitute for formal and individualized diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed medical professional. Do not stop or alter your current course of treatment. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Dora Weithers