How to Make a Hops Pillow for Better Sleep
Did You Say a Hops Pillow?
Hops pillows have been used for centuries to help promote deep sleep, yet not many people know about this remedy. Combined with lavender, hops can help you get a good night's sleep.
The power of hops in your life can be miraculous. Most people have had trouble sleeping at one point or another in their lives. It's a horrible feeling when you're just lying there in bed, staring at the ceiling, and your eyes just won't close. You lie there, feeling hopeless, and you just don't know what to do. You get up the next morning, so tired and drowsy. Night in and night out, you just can't sleep. This is known as insomnia. So many people are affected by this every single night.
What is the answer? The common answer is sleeping pills. However, sleeping pills can be addictive and can have unpleasant side effects Yes, they work, and they will put you to sleep, but the negative effects might outweigh the positives. There are natural remedies out there, but many aren't as good as sleeping pills. So, what do you do? Is there any hope?
You're in luck! Yes, there is an answer to your sleep woes and worries. Hops might be your answer, and here are the benefits:
- They are completely natural.
- There are no side effects.
- They are powerful and will make anyone drowsy.
- They have been proven to work on BBC James Wong's 'Grow Your Own Drugs', where he tested them on people with severe insomnia.
Still don't believe it? Too good to be true? Read on...
Everything You Need to Know About Hops
While most people consider natural remedies to be ineffective and very light, this is certainly not the case. Yes, some herbs and flowers may not be super-effective, but hops really are effective. Hops are used in the brewing of beer, and Germany is one of its top producers.
Hops have been known for centuries to make you sleep deeper, and they relax you too. This is because they release a chemical called dimethylvinyl carbinol, which is known to have a sedative and relaxing effect, research has shown. In fact, hops are so powerful that the workers that collected the hops from the vines were known to fall asleep! It must have been a hard task for them. Even leaving some hops in your kitchen can cause you to feel drowsy.
In 2011, a BBC programme with James Wong have tested the effectiveness of hops on people with severe insomnia who couldn't fall asleep all night. The majority of them said they fell asleep a lot easier and had a deeper sleep. They are completely natural and have no side effects whatsoever. Well, the only thing is that they are toxic to dogs so keep hops away from them. So, the next question is: How can I use them to improve my sleep?
Caution to Dog Owners
Hops are toxic to dogs, so be sure to keep hops away from them.
How to Use Hops to Improve Your Sleep
- The great thing is that hops can be easily purchased on Amazon and aren't hard on your wallet. They are relatively inexpensive and can even be found in markets.
- You can also buy sachets made of muslin to put your hops into. These again can easily be purchased on Amazon.
- Put your hops into muslin sachets. Add some lavender for an extra soothing and relaxing effect.
- Place your sachet beside your pillow.
- The hops will make you fall asleep and the lavender will relax and sedate you.
- Go to sleep.
Mixing Lavender with Hops
Hops on their own may help you fall asleep, but adding a bit of lavender will really be the icing on the cake. Lavender is used in relaxation and sedation, and even lavender by itself can help you fall asleep. I know this from my own experience. I wasn't able to sleep that well so I bought lavender essential oil and grew my own lavender. I sprinkled some lavender oil on my pillow and allowed the scent to disperse. As soon as I put my head on the pillow, I fell soundly asleep. Lavender may not help the worst of insomnia sufferers but hops will. Mixing dried lavender flowers with dried hops helps for a maximum effect. It may help you too, just as it helped me.
Chamomile is also an excellent herb which helps ease tensions in the body, calm the nerves and sedate you into a deep sleep. You can add chamomile to your hops pillow. This will calm you. The power of three herbs can make a huge difference to your sleep.
Three Herbs for Better Sleep
Let's take a look at the three herbs you will use again:
- Hops - There are bitter acids in the hops which release a vapour throughout the night. When inhaled, this vapour will cause your body to fall asleep. Known for centuries, even the hops pickers in Germany were known to fall asleep
- Lavender - The most famous of all for sleep, lavender helps to soothe the mind and to calm you. Its scent is essential in doing this.
- Chamomile - This herb helps to ease tensions in the body and relax you. It can even be drank in tea to promote restful sleep.
Consult a Doctor
The author of this article is not a medical professional. Even though hops have no known side effects in humans, it is always advisable to consult a doctor before trying any natural remedies.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Susan W